Avacados.... what to do with them

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When i went to the grocery store today, i wanted to branch out and get some more unusual veggies and fruit that i dont normally get at the store for a better variety. iusually get the same ol' Broccoli, califlower, peppers, mushrooms, apples bananas grapes oranges. So i got some Avacados. mainly because they are suppose to be soooo good for you and they have good fat in them which is perfect for my baby whos switching to regular table food now @age 1. I just dont know waht to do with them. ive had them before and didnt realy care for them just plain. they were slimmy and kinda funky tasting and the green color is a no go for my hubby and son! So what can i use them for or in?? Ive heard of people putting them in their smoothies, but with the Kefir taste and nasty Goji berry powder that i just bought, i need something that tastes good in my smoothies. haha!! Any thoughts?? what do you do with yours? Thanks, Rach

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have heard you can season and fry them like potatoes...what's not good fried?!?! I didn't try that with mine though...read it aftr mine were gone :( Lemme know how it goes if you try it :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
not a fan of them so can't help but you had me laughing that the hubby and son are turned off by the green :lol:

Rusticstuff

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I put them in salads; I make avocado, lettuce and tomato sandwiches- ALT- and of course there is always guacamole, a delicious dip for chips.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Rusticstuff said:
I put them in salads; I make avocado, lettuce and tomato sandwiches- ALT- and of course there is always guacamole, a delicious dip for chips.
Don't forget the bacon on those sandwiches.

They are good in tacos.

Eat them plain. They aren't slimy, especially compared to cooked okra.

I don't know about smoothies.

Ask tankshill, she lives next to avocado country.

Rusticstuff

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I use avocados instead of bacon. Not a big fan of greasy salty stuff.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Rusticstuff said:
I use avocados instead of bacon. Not a big fan of greasy salty stuff.
You don't care for bacon? :th

Drain and pat off the grease. Find some that isn't so salty, try a natural foods store.

Avocados and bacon are :drool