Avocados

desertgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I run my composting through my chicken run to let the girls break it down before it hits the composting pile. I have read conflicting reports about avocados (some say bad for chickens, others say no problems). I err on the side of caution, so all avocados go into the trash (which drives me nuts). Any ideas?

fargosmom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
If I remember correctly I think the pit of the avocado is actually where the toxic stuff is, but when I had a parrot I stayed on the side of caution and didn't give him any of it, since I didn't want to take any chances. How many avocados are you getting rid of? And are they in decent shape? There's lots of people where I work who would gladly take freebies if they're edible . . . they're so expensive most of the time that I wouldn't think you'd have too much trouble getting rid of them by giving them away. If they're damaged or inedible maybe start a separate compost area for them, away from the chickens? Better safe than sorry.

desertgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh-I should have clarified! These are just the skins and pits. No avocado goes to waste anywhere near me!:p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know avocados can be toxic to horses. My chickens free range in my neigbors avocado orchard all the time. I can honestly say I have never seen them eating one. Maybe they just know better. Even when the dogs eat the ones on the ground they peel the skin off and leave the seed.

So I say dump um!!

g

desertgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sorry-just found this....:rolleyes:

I have been throwing them out. Between the chickens, the vermicomposting and the regular composter, it is just about the only organic thing in my trashcan!

(and I still try to find some possible use for them everytime I throw one out....so far a huge, REALLY ugly ashtray is all I've come up with!)

fargosmom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I throw mine straight into the compost - but the seeds don't really ever seem to break down completely - I find them in the finished compost all the time but so far none have germinated :p . The skins break down in no time though.

desertgirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm erroring on the side of caution and not giving them to the chooks. I chop up the skins for the composter, but no plans for the pits as of yet. They are pretty much the only thing organic that goes in the trash!

(But am fervently trying to come up with a use for those pits....maybe really, really ugly jewelry...:lol:)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I found this on Wikipedia Avocado

"Toxicity to animals

There is documented evidence that animals such as cats, dogs, cattle, goats, rabbits, rats, birds, fish, and horses[15][25] can be severely harmed or even killed when they consume the avocado leaves, bark, skin, or pit. The avocado fruit is poisonous to some birds, and the ASPCA and many other sites list it as toxic to many animals including cats, dogs, and horses.[26] Avocado is an ingredient in AvoDerm dog food[27] and cat food.[28] However, the ASPCA has declined to say whether this food is safe or not without knowing the details of how the avocado is processed.[29]

Avocado leaves contain a toxic fatty acid derivative known as persin, which in sufficient quantity can cause equine colic and, without veterinary treatment, death.[30] The symptoms include gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory distress, congestion, fluid accumulation around the tissues of the heart, and even death. Birds also seem to be particularly sensitive to this toxic compound. Feeding avocados or guacamole to any non-human animal should be avoided completely. Negative effects in humans seem to be primarily in allergic individuals."

Latest posts