B6 as a cure for depression?

GoddessDanu

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just read that taking vitamin B6 supplements can help to cure depression. Apparently, B6 helps to create serotonin, something depressed people have a problem with. Anyone have experience with this?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it cures depression, but it can help to make you feel better, if you are feeling a bit low. At least that is my experience.
I have serious depression and need to be on anti depressants. I wish I could do without and I have tried all sorts of alternatives.

But for helping to get a boost, when your spirits are low, B6 can definitely help. As well as many other things. St John's wort is a good anti depressant. As is sun light or a good full spectrum light in the winter time.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
abifae said:
B vitamins and D are two of the biggies on depression.

So a healthy diet, lots of sunshine, and supplement a bit.

Just an FYI on St Johnswort. It curdles milk. In your stomach. So do not take it with dairy :D But it has good results as long as you don't like warm milk before bed with it LOL.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if it could help in cheese-making. Hmmmm.
St. Johnswort also makes people more photo-sensitive. Sunscreen and sunglasses may be needed. Probably less risk in the winter but you still want the vitamin D.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, I just took a quick peak at ss before leaving for the airport....and of course I had to login quickly for this one!!! :p

B vitamins should be taken as a complex, not so useful as a "one-trick pony." There are many different brands out there, and as we get older, we don't break down tablets very well. Bedpan bullets, they are not-so-affectionately called. So it is not always what you put in your mouth, but how well it makes it to your bloodstream. More to say on this, but no time now....

Many people also have variations in a gene, called a single nucleotide polymorphism, that effects how well their body utilizes B vitamins (there are many different SnP's, that is just one group) so these people need more B's than the average person. Some people need to take a specific form of certain B vitamins, because their body CANNOT break it down, so they need to take a supplement that is already degraded to the point that they need it. This is determined by dna testing, and it is very cool.

People with these absorption issues tend towards seasonal affective disorder and depression in general.

As mentioned, the oil-soluble vitamins are also critical for proper brain function. A & D are two, best source besides grass-fed (real grass-fed, but I don't need to tell you all that!) pork fat and egg yolks, and other animal fats from pastured critters, oh, and milk fat from pastured dairy, especially butter made from cream from cows on rapidly growing grass in the spring and fall.

Calcium is critical for all nerve impulse conduction and is often lacking in a bioavailable form. Most supplements on the market are not very bioavailable. If one has a SnP that expresses as reduced calcium utilization, then the common supps will not likely do it for them (raises hand and waves...)

Oh, and not to forget, balance of the Omega's.....avoid veg oils and eat more saturated fats and that often does the trick. Supplementing is easy, but lots of bad supplements on the market. Learn to read labels. Oh, I teach that in my course...(shameless plug for my next teleconference class.... :D )

Healthy brain function starts with a healthy body. Clinical depression will not be safely addressed with a handful of supplements, though. By that point, it will take some time to bring the body and brain back into balance, but I have to add the caution that professional help should be included if someone is not functioning well or is in danger of hurting themselves. The diet needs to be addressed, too, and supplementing with high-quality products will definitely speed up the process dramatically, but some people need professional intervention to help get back on track.

Whew!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just want to add....I personally take about triple the recommended dosage of B vitamins because of variations in several SnP's. Since you will pee out extra B's (that is the bright yellow in the morning pee when supplementing) it is very safe. You would have to take something like a two or three month supply to get "toxic" dosage, which doesn't mean death...it means symptoms like tingling in the hands and feet, and that is very temporary.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
abifae said:
B vitamins and D are two of the biggies on depression.

So a healthy diet, lots of sunshine, and supplement a bit.

Just an FYI on St Johnswort. It curdles milk. In your stomach. So do not take it with dairy :D But it has good results as long as you don't like warm milk before bed with it LOL.
What dosage of B and D vitamins would you take for depression?

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with taking B6 for depression, but I have *lots* of experience with depression itself. I'll be interested to dig into some info on the B vitamins, I can use all the nutritional help I can get!
I notice a significant change in my overall mood when I take a high quality fish oil daily.
And at the risk of being too intimate, if you are taking hormonal BC, you might want to look at that. I stopped taking it a few months ago after being on it for years, and WOW. I almost feel a little high, that's how significant the change has been. I went from barely being able to drag myself out of bed every day to waking up raring to go every day at dawn, without an alarm. And I don't mean in a manic way, it's more like just having my vitality and zest back.
And now, I have shared too much information, and I shall stop :gig