Baby chick day

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am so excited. :weee :celebrate :weee :ya :clap
USPS called early this morning to let me know they had a box of chicks for me. 36 meaties and 4 new layers. Got them all settled and chirping happily in a corner of the kitchen.
Then I just went out to check for eggs and little FeatherFoot hen who has been sitting on a few eggs was out for lunch so I looked in on her nest. One egg has a little beak poking through and another has a little crack started. Don't see anything on the other two yet. We were not expecting hatch till this weekend. 21 days would be Saturday.
Anybody know how long it takes for them to get out of the shell? This is my first hatch. She's back on the nest so watching is done for but I'm chomping at the bit to know what is happening and hoping it all goes well. :fl

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats on all your new arrivals!!! :thumbsup

I have several hatch in just a matter of a couple hours. Once they start pipping they usually keep at it. Sometimes a prolonged hatch will indicate the health of the bird. Not so good. Are you pulling the chicks or letting momma hen raise them?

g

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No mama's gonna raise these.at least I hope. I figure she knows better than me what to do and I am hoping it will make transition to the big coop easier when that time comes. In fact I am considering trying to see if she will also adopt the 4 layers that came today. She's just a little handful herself though and only 6 months old. She's a real feisty one though.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had chicks take well over 24 hours from pip to hatch. Turned out to be just fine. I've heard it can take up to 48 hours. Resisting the urge to help them out is hard sometimes, but they may not have the yolk all drawn in and it could kill them.

A broody can handle more chicks than eggs. Chicks just rotate out from under her to warm up. It's been down in the low 40s, high 30s here and the chicks I had hatch last Thursday don't sleep under their mama the whole time. I went out to check on them last night and four of the eight were laying against mama. The chicks I had hatch out last November were buzzing around all the time and would let the mom know when they got to chilly. It kind of amazes me how little heat they really need when taken care of by a broody.

Now if I can just get her to let me handle them more. She's been hiding them from me. I step in the run and she hides them behind the house. At night she turns into a snake and bites me if I try and touch them. She's very good at caring for them, though. I miss the silkies I had before. They would bring the chicks up to me and beg for treats. We'll see if the new silkie who has chicks due tomorrow is the same way.

You need to post pictures of the chicks. I love chick pics. :love

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats, sounds like you are going to be busy!