baby chicks first day outside w/ pics

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I posted this on BYC, but they get a bit busy, so I thought I might have more luck here

The babies are about 3 weeks old. most of their wings are feathered out, just starting on the tail feathers and some on the neck. It's supposed to be a high of 70 today. I made them a little pen out in the sun so they could get some real sun instead of the red light bulb.

question. how warm does it need to be for them to get to go outside for a little play time? and how long should I let them stay out before bringing them back in?

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mine were about that old when i started taking them out. usually an hour was about all they were interested in (it was always afternoon and when it got chilly, they let me know it). i would start with 30 mins the first day and slowly increase it, letting them tell you what they are comfortable with.

if, like me, you didn't have yours vaccinated or feed medicated, you will just want to watch them for any signs of odd behavoir or illness. cocci tolerance needs to build up gradually. but don't fret- i didn't loose a single bird!

good luck and have fun. oh, and have a camera handy! pile up some leaves for them if you can, it's hilarious.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thank you !!!

I knew you'd come thru for me :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
What they said.
I take mine out on sunny warm days, sit with them and definitely bring the camera. They are such fun.

If you don't have too many, you might even try letting them run loose as long as you can be right there. It is better if you have two people and a good box or whatever to put them in, once you catch them back up.

Enjoy your chicklet outing ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I take mine out on warm days and just watch them for indications that they are tired or cold. If they start huddling together - it is time to take them in. Chicks raised on the floor in the bedding and raised in smaller batches seldom have coccida problems. They actually get some antibodies to the disease from pecking little bits up from the litter!

Usually if chickens DO get Coccidiosis it is because they have been infected by wild birds that share their food and water. I always keep my feeders hanging and inside the coop to help reduce this risk.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
their first day outside
IMG_6429.jpg

IMG_6418.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

Feel free to identify the breed. :D