Baby, it's cold outside...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I don't think we went much over freezing yesterday, with the wind chill. That is a few degrees higher than our lowest annual winter temperatures and we're barely a week into winter proper. Ireland's climate is fairly mild compared to many other places, winters can come and go with no snow fall in most of the country, but the way things are starting over here, I won't be surprised if we get some soon. And the coldest months are still coming :eek:

I think we're in a for the deep freeze this year. How are things looking where you all live?

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You must be freezing, Sumi. You are not used to these cold temps. Yesterday, it was below freezing and even after the temps rose into the low 30's it still felt like it was in the high 20's with the wind, at times gusting up to over 30mph. We also had our first snow yesterday, not much, just enough to cover the grass. Some areas of the US had upwards of 2 feet! Oh, how I hate the winter unless I'm watching it from a warm house.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In Arkansas we usually have frosty mornings but by afternoon it has warmed up again in the winter. We have maybe a couple weeks of really cold weather and maybe a couple of days of snow. There is many years we don't have any bad weather until after Christmas but you never know.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think our high yesterday was around 33. We have an inch of snow. Return of the frozen water buckets, ugh!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would like to live in a more moderate winter climate, but I set down my roots here in PA and I don't know if I want to leave everything I've done here. It really has become home. However, check back with me in 5 or 10 years when I am that much older!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've always been very intrigued by PA. Just driving through, it's gorgeous. Don't know much about it in regards to taxes, laws, etc. but if I ever relocate it's on my short list of places to investigate.

If I get tired of snow someday though, I'll probably go to TN.

Land of Lincoln

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Weather here has been cooling off the last week or so - lows have been in mid to low 30's with highs in mid 40's. We've had some morning frost a couple of days but it's burned of by mid morning. It was a nice run of warmer than average temperatures here so I can't really complain. Definitely not ready for the white stuff just yet.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've always been very intrigued by PA. Just driving through, it's gorgeous. Don't know much about it in regards to taxes, laws, etc. but if I ever relocate it's on my short list of places to investigate.

If I get tired of snow someday though, I'll probably go to TN.

PA is a gorgeous state, but so many states are beautiful.

Out of the 50 states, PA ranks:
32nd in Land Size
30th in Schools
39th in Overall Taxes (State, School, Property, etc.)
20th for Retirement
10th in Population Density
45th in Unemployment
28th in Gross Domestic Property per Capita
22nd in Average Wage

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I have a headache from the cold :/ I'm such a wimp. We drop below zero overnight many nights over winter, but temperatures this low so early in the season worries me a bit. I won't mind a bit of snow though, it's still exiting enough for us, who hail from 60F winters and 120F summers! lol