Back to Eden Gardening Thread~Note: pic heavy thread.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My sugar snaps are done for the season...I may plant some more in August to see if I can get some into fall.

Getting cukes now every day...Mom can't keep up with eating them all, so we generally give those away to family and such. Wish I still liked them, but for some reason I can't even bear the smell of cucumber anymore...especially in lotions and soaps. Makes me sick to my stomach.

I've never seen a butternut squash like the one planted in that hay bale....it has as many runners outward and over the arch as those pumpkins. Sadly, many of the tiny squash have had blossom end rot due to all the heavy rains, but we are getting a week of no rain this week, so any new little squash should survive.

Beans are really blooming and starting to produce...I hope to keep on top of keeping them picked so I can keep them producing until it's time to do a canning up. For now we've picked and snapped a quart or so...Mom ate half a qt. on her own, couldn't get over the good flavor, so at least she's happy with the beans this year.

Plenty of squash coming on too...will be giving it away as much as possible too. I want to keep them picked so as to prolong production there too.

I have WAY less JBs this year without having the traps out and planting sacrificial Fortex beans on the perimeter of the garden. Those beans are lopping over the fence where the chickens can pick off beetles, which is a win/win...funny to watch them jumping up in the air to reach those bugs.

My hay is seriously thin right now and will not be able to hold moisture with this coming week of hot weather. I need to go get a round bale of just plain ol' good hay if I'm going to keep this garden thriving...no mulch hay being sold right now.

Latest posts