Back to Eden Gardening Thread~Note: pic heavy thread.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We always had lots of volunteer tomatoes in the CA garden, and they were tasty. Up here in the mountains though, even if we got a volunteer, it would die in the fall freezes long before we ever got anything.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've got one volunteer tomato plant and it looks better than the rest that I planted. I saw someone on YouTube planted tomato slices to get plants.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were given a LOT of 5 year old wood chips. They are black, crumbly and richly decomposed. My husband and our neighbor Robert, hauled loads and I pushed it up with the tractor while they were gone. they hauled loads for us and for Robert too.

img_1177-jpg.19048

They made 4 or 5 loads a day until it was gone. Robert got mulch too and spread it in his front yard and in his garden. The mulch was black, crumbly and rich.

img_1178-jpg.19047

The mulch sat piled up all winter. The grand daughters liked the mulch mountain and played on it.

helper-1-jpg.19049

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We started getting wood chips from a power line contractor crew. They parked their trucks on our place at night and on weekends. We wound up with over 70 loads of wood chip mulch!

My husband is waving from the end of Mulch Mountain.

image-jpeg.19062

Then I turned to the right.

image-jpeg.19063

Plus we have piles and piles of mulch on the pipeline. We spread a whole lot of the wood chips in and around the barn to hold down the dust. We have a 30 year old mare that has lung issues and the dust makes her cough.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is my Sleeping Lady tomatoes. They are a patio type.

img_1697-jpg.19921

Cherokee Purple tomatoes. They aren't ripe yet but they will be soon. @seedcorn :plbb

img_1698-jpg.19923

Mustard greens, they are starting to bolt, so I have to get them picked!

img_1703-jpg.19924

This is Hastings Prolific corn. At the end of the row is turnips.

img_1706-jpg.19925

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll be hauling chips this week, Lord willing. This is the 3rd year for the chips on this garden and I hauled some last year for thin spots but this year the thin spots are much bigger, so will have to transfer the pile of nasty, ragged and too large chipped wood chips in the yard over to the garden to get me some depth there and for weed suppression.

If they aren't enough I'll be scrounging and hauling from afar until I get the right depth in the garden. My son's BTE is only in the second year but it too needs some added to some thinned out areas.