Bad Yeast Question

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We bought a big bag of yeast from a local store. We have tried making several loaves of bread with it, but every time we use it, our bread does not rise. We are both pretty experienced bread-makers, so we are guessing this yeast was not stored properly or is expired or whatever. Are there any uses for "dead" yeast? I'd hate to just throw this whole bag away. I tried google to find some ideas, but I'm just coming up with stuff about yeast infections :sick

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got nuthin'...

You sure it's dead yeast? I have a friend that was complaining about bread not rising this past winter. I thought it was more because her tight-wad husband had the thermostat turned waaay down in the house and it was too cold for the bread to rise in its usual time. Had she given it another couple of hours, that might have helped.
Did you try to proof it in some warm water?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
For sure proof it before drawing any conclusions, and be careful of your water temperature when you do the proofing.

If it really is dead, I'd just put it in the compost, personally. In principle you could feed it in limited quantities to the chickens etc as a protein source but as live bakers yeast can potentially be a bit problematic doing that, I am not sure how totally I'd rely on its deadness (JMO though)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Are you on a septic system? You could flush it down the toilet, maybe in a few flushes when ya potty. Then if any of it is still alive, it will benefit your septic tank.

I don't do this any more, but I remember that you could flush yeast and brown sugar down the pot instead of Rid X.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Are you on a septic system? You could flush it down the toilet, maybe in a few flushes when ya potty. Then if any of it is still alive, it will benefit your septic tank.

I don't do this any more, but I remember that you could flush yeast and brown sugar down the pot instead of Rid X.
Yep, flush away :lol:

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If it's instant yeast and doesn't rise then it is probably dead. If the package does not say "instant" then you will have to proof it before it will make bread rise.

To proof yeast, dissolve yeast and 1 tsp. of sugar in warm water. If the mixture froths after 5 or ten minutes then your yeast is good for raising bread.

If your yeast is dead then you could also make a loose facsimile of Vegemite / Marmite by mixing a tsp. of yeast with Nutella or peanut butter. Yeast is packed with B vitamins but North Americans dislike the strong flavor of concentrate yeast so adjust for taste.. Dead yeast still has all it's nutritional value, it just won't grow.

I knew a women who put yeast in her quick breads, she liked the "yeasty" flavor. She baked it without any rising. Dead yeast would also be good for this application to impart flavor / nutrition.

If you brew beer then brewing suppliers sell a product called "yeast nutrients" which is essentially dead yeast. When added to a batch of beer the live yeast will cannibalize the dead yeast husks for essential nutrients. This makes for "happier" more robust yeast that ferment quickly.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dirk Chesterfield said:
If your yeast is dead then you could also make a loose facsimile of Vegemite / Marmite by mixing a tsp. of yeast with Nutella or peanut butter. Yeast is packed with B vitamins but North Americans dislike the strong flavor of concentrate yeast so adjust for taste.. Dead yeast still has all it's nutritional value, it just won't grow.

I knew a women who put yeast in her quick breads, she liked the "yeasty" flavor. She baked it without any rising. Dead yeast would also be good for this application to impart flavor / nutrition.

If you brew beer then brewing suppliers sell a product called "yeast nutrients" which is essentially dead yeast. When added to a batch of beer the live yeast will cannibalize the dead yeast husks for essential nutrients. This makes for "happier" more robust yeast that ferment quickly.
Now, isn't that interesting!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did try proofing it, but there is no froth. It is definately dead. :th

I am not on a septic system, so I can't use it for that, but very interesting info. I like the idea of making beer with it too! :drool

I was reading that yeast makes a good skin mask for a facial. I'm the only girl in the house, so that won't put much of a dent in it. I don't have much time for giving myself facials. So, I will have to check on the nutritional uses of yeast. I have heard of people taking yeast supplements, but not sure what it benefits.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found these other uses for yeast:

-sprinkled into soups, it creates a creamy soup without the addition of milk

-yeast mixed with vinegar and oil makes a nutritious salad dressing

-sprinkle on popcorn rather than using salt and butter

-add to gravies

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Huh, that's pretty interesting, too. I happen to like the yeast flavor, but I never would have thought to sprinkle some on popcorn.