Baked Bean Recipe?

Catalina

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Does anyone have a baked bean recipe that would work for canning?

I tried to make baked beans, with a low temp oven method, but they were too watery and even after 2 days of cooking they were still crunchy. And I pre-soaked the beans. :hu

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My first pressure canning project was plain black beans and they came out great. I, too, would like a baked bean recipe!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My grandmother used to put them in a cast iron pot under the fire and leave them in the ground for two days...they were the best...haven't had baked beans like that in a long long time...and I have no idea what the recipe was:>)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Cool, saved to favorites until I have time to print and put in my canning notebook! Some good details on baked beans there.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
My parents bought a ceramic beanpot and tried all sorts of recipes.
I don't know what they were aiming for but they felt they couldn't make good baked beans and gave it up after a few months of trying.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We like this recipe. I don't have a crock pot any longer, so I make them in the oven.

Slow Cooker or Oven Baked Boston Baked Beans

2 1/2 cups dried navy beans
4 whole cloves
2 onions, peeled
1 bay leaf (optional)
6 Tb tomato ketchup
2 Tb molasses or maple syrup
2 Tb dark brown sugar
1 Tb Dijon-style mustard (any in a pinch)
2 cups veggie stock or water
Salt and pepper

Rinse the beans, then place in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and leave to soak for at least 8 hours or overnight.

Drain and rinse the beans. Place them in a large pan, cover with plenty of cold water and bring to a boil. Boil gently for about 10 minutes, then drain and tip into the slow cooker dish. Or if you dont have a slow cooker, tip the beans into an oven proof casserole dish.

Stick 2 cloves in each of the onions. Add them to the pot with the bay leaf, burying them in the beans.

In a bowl, blend together the ketchup, molasses, sugar, mustard and stock. Pour over the beans. Add more stock or water if necessary, so that the beans are almost covered with liquid. Cover and switch the cooker to slow and cook for 2 to 3 hours. If baking in the oven, cook at 300 for 1 to 2 hours, until the beans are just tender. Stir.

Cook for 2 to 3 hours more in the slow cooker, or 1 to 2 hours more in the oven. Stir in salt and pepper and serve.

Serves 8

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Bet that would work in the pressure canner by simply following the directions for any dry beans....do the overnight soak and procede with canning.

Catalina

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:thumbsup Good recipe! It sounds a lot better than the one I was using "Cook the beans in a low temp. 300 degree oven for 8 to 9 hours."