Baked okra?

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a bunch of okra and the only way I've ever eaten it is rolled in cornmeal and fried. Well, I'm trying to eat healthier and was wondering if you can bake them to get a similar result. Anyone ever try this? Or any other way to cook it that doesn't come out all slimy n gross?

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
I'll be very interested to hear how they turn out if you try baking them. I'm getting tired of fried okra too. ;)

When i was a kid, my mom loved eating pickled okra. I don't want to eat them pickled, but that might be an alternative your family would enjoy.

dreamweaver

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It seems we like our food the way we grew up with it being prepared. My mother's fried okra was not crispy fried, it was not slimy, I guess the best way to describe it, is mushy. So, that's how I try to make it.

She only lightly battered it with corn meal, and then put it in an iron skillet (a very well seasoned one) in the oven. I don't know what temperature she baked it on, but it couldn't have been too high as she left it in there for 2-3 hours (I usually do 400 just because I'm impatient). She baked it VERY slowly. I just guess, but she knew when it was time to take it out and put it on an eye and then cooked on medium until it was the consistency she wanted. This is the way I prefer it.