Baked Rice and Cheese

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is from the cook book I found printed in 1934. Actually, it does not have a copy write date, but in the back, the wine vintages start at 1933. So I assumed a year or so after that? I ate this as dinner, but it would make a good side dish. It's super cheap!

Baked Rice and Cheese

3 cups cooked rice
2 cups cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cayenne
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
crumbs

Put a layer of cooked rice in a greased baking-dish, over with a layer of grated cheese, season with salt and cayenne. continue adding layers until the dish is almost full. Add enough milk to come half-way to the top of the rice. Cover with crumbs, dot with butter and bake in a moderate oven (350-400) fifteen to thirty minutes.

I don't have cayenne, so I used paprika. I used pepperjack and white aged cheddar, both Tillamook. Next time I will use even more! I bet all you who make your own cheese would get even better results! I really like plain rice with cheese, so this is my taste. It's very basic.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would think a glass of wine and a large green salad might be a good idea. All that rice and cheese might effect the plumbing. If you know what I mean. :hide

But yes it sounds delicious. I would definitely use a sharp cheddar. Yum!!!