Baking Stones???

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Tell me everything I could ever want to know about baking stones. I have done several searches--and they all keep mentioning Pampered Chef's stones. I know other places --kitchen stores--sell them. What's your idea of them?? I have never used one but have decided that I would like to start baking bread. I have gotten the book "Artisain bread in Five Minutes a Day' ordered. Any and all advice, suggestions, ideas are welcome..Thanks Dixie

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
If you cannot find a baking stone, you might try fireplace bricks. That is what I used a few years back. They are available at building supply stores. I think I bought three or four. They are smaller and skinnier than regular bricks and made to withstand fireplace heat. I used them for making bread and pizza.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I have a round pizza stone. I love it! Don't ever use soapy water to wash them, because the stone can absorb the soap. They also get darker with age.

I love mine! I bake crescents and cookies and pizza and free form breads, etc....well you get the picture!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just a note of caution: I don't know about firebricks in particular, but I was looking into buying a flooring tile for baking one day and my dad made a VERY good point, having sold and installed flooring for many years.....stones made for baking will be lead free, everything else, all bets are off. Lead and other nasty things can be found in tile, so use caution when looking for alternatives to the expensive stones. Again, I don't know about firebrick, but children will not come into contact with them with their intended use, so do some research first....

I have a Pampered Chef stone, and just took a pizza out of the oven to cool a bit before cutting. I used the MEN recipe but substituted freshly ground whole wheat flour. It is wonderful! After letting the dough ferment in the fridge for a couple weeks, I rolled out a half-dozen pizza dough's to fit my stone on well-floured parchment paper, placed them on a larger cookie sheet, enclosed the whole thing in two trash bags (parchment keeps the dough away from the non-food-safe plastic bags) and put them in the freezer.

I preheat my stone at 370 and take it out, flip the thawed dough onto the hot stone, and top with home-canned pizza sauce, cheese, and one of my few vices, pepperoni. Mmmmmmmmm..........!!!!

On another thread, someone mentioned getting their stone for less $$ at a kitchen and bath store.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I absolutely love my stone bakeware. Some of it is Pampered Chef and some is a knock off brand. It all performs the same with the same results.

I have an 8x14 casserole dish, 2 oval casserole dishes, a loaf pan, pizza pan and a large rectangular baking sheet.

Any type of bread baked on or in it is wonderful. I use the casserole dish for anything from roasted potatoes to brownies.

It is extremely easy to clean. I do use warm soapy water to clean it, I just don't let it soak in it.

If you find it at a good price, get it!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have various pieces of Pampered Chef stoneware. I've had them for years and absolutely love them. I use plain hot water to clean them, and a nylon scraper to get the stuck bits off, if necessary.

Look at thrift shops, and you may find some. The last three Pampered Chef pizza stones I purchased at the local thrift shop for $1 each....they were brand new, never used and had the metal handles. Someone didn't realize what they had.

:D We had pizza today too - homemade garlic & herb dough topped with homemade sauce, sliced garlic, onion, black olives, green pepper, red pepper, and green onions with grated parmesan, cheddar and mozzarella cheese. YUM

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you all.. I will be on the look out for them..I love 2nd hand stores..

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Love mine too & it is an off brand purchased at Kitchen Collection store. BTW they can be used on a grill too!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I took a tip from chef Alton Brown...I use a large disc from the bottom of a terra cotta pot. I bought it new just for this purpose, washed it and it is now my bread stone.

The bottoms of those big pots can be purchase separately and are only a few dollars. I love mine it does a great job...I dust it with a little cornmeal to make sure nothing sticks.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Dace said:
I took a tip from chef Alton Brown...I use a large disc from the bottom of a terra cotta pot. I bought it new just for this purpose, washed it and it is now my bread stone.

The bottoms of those big pots can be purchase separately and are only a few dollars. I love mine it does a great job...I dust it with a little cornmeal to make sure nothing sticks.
My aunt suggested that idea years ago (she's 90 now). However, the garden center nearest us in Houston used to keep their chemicals next to the terracotta pots. So I was always afraid to try using them for food.