Ball Blue Book.. opinions....

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ball Blue Book is one of the few books out there that has USDA approved recipes. What does that mean? It means that the recipes are tested for food preservation safety. You can check out www.uga.edu/nchfp for approved recipes and see if they match what you have. Many of the recipes out there in magazines and on the internet do not have the proper acid balance (pH) for water bath canning or the correct pressure for pressure canning.

I recently took a Master Food Preserver class through the U of WI extension (like Master Gardener for food) and it was nice to see the why behind the methods. Some of the stuff does seem like over the top food police, but the latest Blue Book (2006 ed.), the NCHFP site, and the USDA publications themselves are valuable resources in terms of food safety.

Vikki

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I was given my Blue Book from my MIL at the beginning of the season and I love it!! It has been referenced so many times...layed out on the table, spots of juice, corn or other 'stuff' on it, lol. Many times already this year I've had family call me..."what do I do with this....?" I don't mind the sugar, or the vinegar. I follow the recipes and the times and love the food I get as a result.

My opinion is, it wouldn't be approved if it was bad, lol. jmo

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bad? Bad as in dangerous? Of course not.

Or bad as in full of ingredients I don't consider ideal for growing children's health? That's the problem...

pioneergirl said:
My opinion is, it wouldn't be approved if it was bad, lol. jmo

amyquilt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I honestly don't ever buy books, esp recipe books, so I have never looked at the book. What I do is look up recipes online. that way I can compare ingredients of different recipes, see which one sounds better and go from there. The internet, I find, is a valuable resource when looking for recipes.
I agree.

I'm a book junkie, though, and am trying to re-teach myself to stop buying books and use the internet and library.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
amyquilt said:
miss_thenorth said:
I honestly don't ever buy books, esp recipe books, so I have never looked at the book. What I do is look up recipes online. that way I can compare ingredients of different recipes, see which one sounds better and go from there. The internet, I find, is a valuable resource when looking for recipes.
I agree.

I'm a book junkie, though, and am trying to re-teach myself to stop buying books and use the internet and library.
I LOVE to read, but am too cheap to buy my own, usually. There are exceptions to this but generally I borrow. :)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Sorry Sandra, I guess that came out wrong, no offense intended there. * curses the internet with its 'no voice fluxuation clause* lol

I guess what I meant was, yes there are some things that are high in sodium, and sugar, but between the mixing and cooking, it might not be as bad for our health as it initially seems.

When I can my green beans, it says to add salt to the jars, but it also says that its *optional*...so I don't. I think many of the recipes are from 'way back when' and therefore, artificial sweeteners hadn't quite hit the market. What if you used Splenda or an alternative? Many recipes can have the sugar substituted with maybe honey, or even a juice, although if you are trying to make it thick, I think sugar is your only option (I could be terribly wrong on that front).

I guess with all the hype about disorders in kids, and obesity in America, the one underlying factor I keep seeing is moderation. Nobody seems to watch the amount they are eating. I tell my kids they don't need to drown the pancake in syrup...enough to flavor is fine. Same with jelly on toast, enough to cover thinly will work.

Hope this doesn't come across wrong, either, lol...;)

jkm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well I have been off canning peaches, so no time for computers.
I reduced the sugar in all the rescipes after i read the intro to B Book.
I found the sugar chart and made light suace for all the peaches. The difference between Jam and canning was three full cups of sugar! for the same amount of fruit.

Look at the chart at on page 16, I think it was, then compared to the jam sections.
I am being very careful to get the food very very hot and make sure I process for at least the minumum time required plus five minutes,, heat helps kill bacteria as well as sugar.

As for the chutneys, I learned my lesson, simmer, simmer and simmer.....to get the vinegar to reduce and the taste right.
can't wait to make plum apple chutney in a week or so....

if its your first year canning, I suggest you write in your book,, I note how many lbs of fruit/sugar I use and how many pints it makes.
we did 30 lbs of peaches last year for 21 pints
and did 36 lbs this year.
i will look at the Putting Food by book.
I use the internet also,,,, but own a few cook books, read alot from the library...i wish cooks illustrated would do a canning book then we would really know a lot more.....

maybe i wil have time for pickles this year....

SandraMort

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That's the problem. Not everybody DOES agree that those end products taste good. I prefer low sugar stuff *for the flavor*. I am not concerned about the health aspect of the amount in some jam.

the simple life said:
Yeah, its got lots of sugar, but the final products taste good.
Unless you are eating home canned jam for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday I really don't see the harm done.