Bamboo for Homestead Use

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mimosa is on the banned list of plants here. It's a huge fine and can be jail time.

Himalayan and cutleaf blackberries are super invasives here, as is scotch broom and bindweed. I've been successful with scotch broom but haven't managed to totally eradicate the bindweed. Blackberries are a losing battle and the biggest reason goats are such popular pets here.

We have yellow flag that the idiot who owned the place before us planted in a "pond" he dug by the real pond. In the dry years, I've gone out and attempted to dig the bulbs but that doesn't work well with our soil. They haven't been able to spread beyond that spot thankfully.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Actually the weather is quite nice here, often beautiful. Unless it is trying to kill ya. And it can go from one extreme to the other in 10 minutes. I have seen differences of 50-60 degrees in a 24 hour period. I experienced that a little in north central FL but it is more extreme here. Or maybe I am just a lot older.
Out here in the Eastern side of the Cascades they will tell you that if you don't like the weather here just wait 10 minutes and it will change. I've literally seen it go from hot, Tshirt weather to put-on-your-heavy-coat blowing squalls of snow in 20 minutes. I do not exaggerate!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
In the Hermiston area we didn't have any real weather sayings. Mostly it was just sunny. With wind. Wind was pretty constant even if it was slow sometimes. It just blows down the Gorge.

Here the saying is, if you don't like the weather wait 10 minutes and it will start raining.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our big invasive plant right now is the Phragmites. It takes over and crowds out the native plants. Our roadside ditches are filled with this plant.
1613065228618.png