Bamboo for Homestead Use

HornyToadAcres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't know that much about bamboo, but the one kind here in Va is the "runner" kind I guess as it spreads and it a real nuscience.... grows along roadsides, gets real tall and then falls over into the roads and our highway dept cusses it. It will take over..... not liked around here.
Yes, running bamboo can definitely be a nuisance where it gets out of hand. Especially in milder climates. Our invasive plant here is mesquite. We have to beat it back constantly from surrounding acres. The seeds can sprout even on top of the chipbase that covers most of our property.

I remember buying a mimosa for one of my little oasis and was told, factually, that it can be invasive. It lasted 3 years and did no invading here. I realize now that it didn't have enough soil under it.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@HornyToadAcres ; Thank you for spelling nuisance... I knew something looked off but couldn't figure out why I didn't like the way it looked....!!!!
We have enough cold that the real warm weather plants struggle... but this bamboo seems to not mind the cold....
I have heard that mesquite can be a problem. Here, the real big problem is Russian Autumn Olive and Multiflora Rose.... both non-native... both really take over in a heartbeat.....Have to keep the edges of the hayfields bush hogged or in 2 years they are 10 feet out into the field.... take over pastures in a heartbeat.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mimosa is on the banned list of plants here. It's a huge fine and can be jail time.

Himalayan and cutleaf blackberries are super invasives here, as is scotch broom and bindweed. I've been successful with scotch broom but haven't managed to totally eradicate the bindweed. Blackberries are a losing battle and the biggest reason goats are such popular pets here.

We have yellow flag that the idiot who owned the place before us planted in a "pond" he dug by the real pond. In the dry years, I've gone out and attempted to dig the bulbs but that doesn't work well with our soil. They haven't been able to spread beyond that spot thankfully.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our big invasive plant right now is the Phragmites. It takes over and crowds out the native plants. Our roadside ditches are filled with this plant.
1613065228618.png