banana hater's banana recipes?

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband has been getting pounds and pounds of ripe/overripe bananas and I can't bear to toss 'em! I've made banana chips (and I don't know anyone who likes them) and I've made enough banana bread to feed an army. I found a great recipe for crumb-topped banana muffins that even I like, but a person can only eat so many of them. Today, I'm trying a sour cream bread recipe to put loaves in the freezer but I would LOVE any other recipes from banana haters that will help me use up our surplus... and yes, we're all stocked on frozen bananas in the peel for later use. :lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Toss one in the blender with other stuff for a smoothie - you won't taste it, but it will add a smooth texture.

Ice cream?

Neighbours? Food bank?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
:welcome how did you banana chips turn out? I mad them once and didn't like them compared to the ones ou buy in the store. The ones I made were chewy, and I couldn't get them to crisp up.

ETA, I usually pee them break them into c unks and freeze them and then just take out a handful for smoothies, or measure them up for banana bread. so, I'm not much help. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I don't know about the banana-hater quotient (I am kind of neutral on the subject of bananas myself) but you can mash them up real good and mix them in when making cheesecake, that's pretty yummy.

Or use a frozen banana or two as the basis for a smoothie/milkshake type thing -- frozen banana chunks, some milk or yogurt, and anything else you want (bottled key lime juice is good). Actually if you do it with JUST the frozen banana chunks and just a *little* bit of milk/yogurt/cream/whatever, you end up with essentially banana soft-serve icecream.

Banana custard, to eat alone or in a pie.

Also of course you can always feed them to the chickens.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
:welcome how did you banana chips turn out? I mad them once and didn't like them compared to the ones ou buy in the store. The ones I made were chewy, and I couldn't get them to crisp up.

ETA, I usually pee them break them into c unks and freeze them and then just take out a handful for smoothies, or measure them up for banana bread. so, I'm not much help. :)
:ep

:th

:gig

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ha ha ha, I had the same reaction to "pee"ing bananas- we've had a bunch around here lately but not so much I've had that side effect :lol:

I've made chips in the past that stayed chewy, but putting them in the "jerky maker" instead of my ronco dehydrator made a big difference- I think it seals better and hits higher temps.

I *wish* the chickens would touch bananas, I'd be all set, but so far they've turned up their beaks- even when I've mashed and mixed them up with grain. The neighbors and the extended family have also had it with our banana glut! My husband just can't turn down free/ cheap food, so I keep taking the banana challenge.

I'm going to search out a custard recipe, haven't done that one yet!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm not a banana hater, but not a fan, either. I ALWAYS peel them before freezing them, though. This way you can use them frozen for many things. In smoothies is the first way. If you have a really good blender, food processor, or VitaMix, you can make a banana ice cream by making a smoothie only much thicker. Vanilla extract and some sweetener, or some chocolate syrup make a great sorbet or ice cream. Add just enough milk or cream to make the blender work.

For a special treat, you can freeze banana halves stuck on an ice cream stick. When frozen, roll them in melted chocolate and then into chopped nuts and re-freeze on a pan, then serve or bag them up again. I first saw these in a restaurant years ago.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Eggnog
1 frozen banana, 1-2 cups of whole milk, 1-2 egg yolks and cin. or nutmeg to taste.
No sweetener, as the banana is plenty. You can add berries as well.
Sometimes I throw in, cocoa, coconut butter, or peanut butter as well.
Blend and enjoy :drool