Bananas!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Is it a black walnut? If so, you might want to be careful about planting anything too close to it. It produces juglone which is toxic to many plants. Here's an article that discusses the problem.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Is it a black walnut? If so, you might want to be careful about planting anything too close to it. It produces juglone which is toxic to many plants. Here's an article that discusses the problem.
I'm familiar with the trees that are supposed to do that, but I've never experienced it with this one. This walnut tree has been here for a long time...several decades at least...so it gets priority over its spot! There isn't anything planted under the drip line except grass, but the grass grows just fine there year round (St. Augustine). At any rate, it isn't an area of the yard where we are planting any vegetables or fruit trees. It's an area that gets more shade than our garden areas. The other trees in the area are cedars, american hollies and pecans.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
txcanoegirl said:
Denim Deb said:
I'm familiar with the trees that are supposed to do that, but I've never experienced it with this one. This walnut tree has been here for a long time...several decades at least...so it gets priority over its spot! There isn't anything planted under the drip line except grass, but the grass grows just fine there year round (St. Augustine). At any rate, it isn't an area of the yard where we are planting any vegetables or fruit trees. It's an area that gets more shade than our garden areas. The other trees in the area are cedars, american hollies and pecans.

I had black walnuts for years and I axed the ankle biting monster! but I had beautiful daffodils that came up under it for years-just in case you want to put a bit of color under there.

Latest posts