Bananna Flour

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I found this in the Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery? Published in 1955.

Dehydrated banannas gound into flour. Make a thin gruel with milk or water. Eaten with cream is a highly nutrious dish for people with gastric irratibility. Also good for children and invalids.

Ever tried this? Any comments?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well, it would be high in potassium and B6 but also high in sugar. Bananas are mostly sugar. 1 med banana is the equivalent of 1/8 cup sugar.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
They touched on the sugar issue but since I don't have the book here at work with me I can remember what all it said. Something about it being different than refined sugar. Plus this was written in 1955 which means its really old info. But I do trust the old info sometimes better than all the new faulty science we get these days.

So am I to gather from your post that this is not really good at all, or maybe not good for someone with sugar issues?

Not being a food guru, and not having any food, weight or health issues, I don't really look at all the ups and downs sometimes.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I really don't think this would be a nutrishes item, yes nanas do proivide some potsassium and B6, but not as much as one would think, and they are very high is sugar, someone who is diabetic should only eat a half of one as a serving.

When ground into a powder a serving of any size would contain a fair amount of bananas.

It is true that some one with a touchy tummy (due to an illness such as flu,ect) should follow the BRAT diet, bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.

I personally don't feel the trouble of drying them would be worth it.

I think your wise encyclopdia would be an interesting read, but some of the info may be a little outdated.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think it would be a problem for people with blood sugar issues (diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc... so about 40% of the population).

In an emergency situation, food is food :D