BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
View attachment 13407View attachment 13408

Broiler chicks are settled in and doing well. Brooding them in the building has been much nicer so far. Only had to add an extra heat lamp to keep them warmer since we are still have cooler weather. I think I have 26 or 27. They won't stay still long enough to count!

Hope you all are doing well today!

don't you worry that when you turn on the perimeter lights at night that the hens will come out looking for Momma? j/k :) looks comfy/warm. :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
xDjPxbWpSieulw1LMgVH3g.jpg

JePS4MiYRZmu+a1Sp9%+SQ.jpg

Yesterday, I took some time and did some baking. I made Honey Wheat Bread, and Oatmeal Muffins (made from leftover oatmeal) to eat on. I used some ingredients out of long term storage, and it turned out pretty good!! Very tasty today!!

Today, was my last required day to be in the building at work. I am working remotely from here on out, and until at least April 17th. Tomorrow, I am going to set up equipment on the screened in porch so I can move my kale, broccoli, and cabbage there to finish growing. I'm praying for the weather to turn favorable!!

IMG_2929.JPG

So, this is kind of funny, but an old photo of my pantry (circa 2012) that I used in an article on Long Term Food Storage and probably posted on here has been turned into a facebook meme. Someone in my church shared it... and I about fell out of the bed this morning. It has been shared 5,000+ times. I wish it still looked like this! It's not as clean or as fat as it used to be. Praying for God to bless!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
2SjOeMxuQKq8FcWBbcXiJQ.jpg

I got my plants brassicas transplanted, and in better soil and water. I need to sow another tray of cabbage, and broccoli tomorrow.

The sun is shining today, and we are about to go to virtual church this morning. This is one of the first Sundays I have ever missed... I'm missing my people this morning. I'm missing being together to worship, but we will gather again some day...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
ZyFxSejKQBKUEneeMF9Ggg.jpg

It has been a busy week here. I got 10 pounds of Carrots canned on Saturday. I hope to finish the rest of them this week. I think I have around 7 or 8 pounds left.

ks0tEM+MQf+4tZHk8bV5TA.jpg

I also got a pen setup to let the meat chickens out in the fresh air. I filled it with straw so that I could harvest some good manure and bedding to compost at the end of the process. They are growing well. I learned a good lesson yesterday though. They are still small enough to slip through the chain link--- I got to chase them around last night. Just like old times.

The weather has been great here the past few days. It has been wonderful. I think I will be able to get the garden disced tomorrow before rain comes on Tuesday. If so, I'll be in perfect position to plant potatoes on the next dry spell. Tomorrow, I am going to pick up a new tiller and some soil for my raised beds to top them off. I managed to do all of this online through Lowe's. I don't have any desire to go into the store. I'll gladly back up and let them load everything. I sold my other tiller for $400 and a trade for a Mantis tiller. Great deal I thought. I had a cub cadet and just did not care for it. I'm hoping this new one will be much better.

Financially, I am fairing pretty well in this situation, but I am lucky. I am saving money because I am not out of the house so much buying and eating things I don't actually need. My savings is in great shape even after cashing the emergency fund out a few weeks ago. I thank God for it.

Today, we also had a wonderful "drive in" church service. It's hard for us to live stream or conduct a service without actually being together. We are blessed with so many wonderful singers and preachers. So, today we had a parking lot full and I know the Lord's spirit was there. Folks were shouting, and praising the Lord. It was a good time. We had some singing (not as much as usual), but it was a blessing.

Hope you all are doing well!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I hope your new tiller is better! Can you temporarily put cardboard zip tied around the bottom of the fence for the chicks until they grow a bit bigger? Church sounds like it was fun today.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I hope your new tiller is better! Can you temporarily put cardboard zip tied around the bottom of the fence for the chicks until they grow a bit bigger? Church sounds like it was fun today.
I could, but the weather is going cooler and wet starting on Tuesday. I wouldn't let them out then anyway and I expect in a week they will be big enough.