BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Life is busy, but I am making it happen.

90Wqg4e%Tka75I9BdhwtuA.jpg

After three failed broody mommas this year, we finally got one to hatch a few out. She started with six eggs, and hatched out at least three from what I can tell. She is being very protective so far...

I needed to see this after a long and stressful work week.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wow, it has been much longer than I thought. I guess it is time for my yearly check in. The last year has been a blur.

I graduate from college in three weeks, and am currently on the hunt for a big boy job. Still single and not married. But, oh well.

I have entered into the ministry. I announced my call to preach in October, and the Lord has used me since and I can't wait to see where that goes. That is one thing that I definitely know that I am headed in the right direction with. Our church has allowed me to grow and learn with them and I am so grateful for them. Our new pastor has been a great mentor and continues to help me grow. Life is good.

I am ready to head back to the countryside though. I just spent my spring break week at home, and I forgot how much I missed living full time in the country. Life is a lot different there than in the city. My next task is to start adding to my savings so I can buy a piece of property and build my own cabin. That is my next major goal and hopefully get married at some point.

Life is a journey and I love each step.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
2SjOeMxuQKq8FcWBbcXiJQ.jpg

I got my plants brassicas transplanted, and in better soil and water. I need to sow another tray of cabbage, and broccoli tomorrow.

The sun is shining today, and we are about to go to virtual church this morning. This is one of the first Sundays I have ever missed... I'm missing my people this morning. I'm missing being together to worship, but we will gather again some day...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations, young sir. Four years, my how time slips away. Great to see your update.

Not sure if I have any sweet southern Belle tips, but I did find and marry a wonderful woman from Mississippi over the past few years.
My advice? Be true to yourself, look for someone who enhances your life, not someone who keeps you from being lonely. We met in a private FB group about low carb lifestyle. No intention of looking for someone. It was over 6 months before we met in person.
There is a plan for you, let the chapters unfold in time.

Last edited:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Once again, I feel like I just posted to this journal, but I guess not!

Today, I signed a contract to teach agriculture and advise a FFA chapter in a community within driving distance of my home. So, great news and God worked it all out. That's a great and funny story, but God had His hands in the delivery. It seems to be a great place to work. I have a new greenhouse, and mechanics shop to utilize in education. I will be teaching Plant Science and Agricultural Mechanics. I am extremely excited for this next step.

This also means that I am returning home for a few years while I save money and work to buy my own homestead. I didn't think this is how life would work out, but I am so very thankful. This year I am in the process of restoring a lot of the work I had previously done.

Luckily, I think I have the garden under control. It needs rain, but seems to be on track to provide a good little supply of food. I have harvested a few strawberries and some green onions. I have plenty of tomatoes, to can and make into sauces, planted. I have green beans and corn coming up. I set out sweet potatoes this morning, and have planted okra and cucumbers.

I'm waiting on my seeds for my winter squash, lima beans, watermelon, and summer squash. Then, I will do another planting of corn and pole beans. The only thing I am missing is potatoes, but I'll get those back next year. Planning on growing kale, cabbage, peas, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, greens, carrots, and turnips this fall to round out my food storage.

My next project is to get my hen house back in order. I have lots of culling to do. I plan on canning a lot of my old hens. My next goal is to order a new set of laying hens and some broilers to replenish my pantry this fall. I have repairs and adjustments to make, but it will happen. Tonight, I have a Buff Orpington set on a clutch of eggs and somewhere in the brush, and fence rows I have a turkey hen setting a nest.

I hope to can a lot and re stock my pantry this fall. Lots of work to do and more projects to come. I forgot how much I love this lifestyle. God is so good to me...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
EC05QekYSBK0BK0gFGdSRA.jpg
ApgvLx60T4apWAMRnsDwNQ.jpg

Broiler chicks are settled in and doing well. Brooding them in the building has been much nicer so far. Only had to add an extra heat lamp to keep them warmer since we are still have cooler weather. I think I have 26 or 27. They won't stay still long enough to count!

Hope you all are doing well today!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
xDjPxbWpSieulw1LMgVH3g.jpg

JePS4MiYRZmu+a1Sp9%+SQ.jpg

Yesterday, I took some time and did some baking. I made Honey Wheat Bread, and Oatmeal Muffins (made from leftover oatmeal) to eat on. I used some ingredients out of long term storage, and it turned out pretty good!! Very tasty today!!

Today, was my last required day to be in the building at work. I am working remotely from here on out, and until at least April 17th. Tomorrow, I am going to set up equipment on the screened in porch so I can move my kale, broccoli, and cabbage there to finish growing. I'm praying for the weather to turn favorable!!

IMG_2929.JPG

So, this is kind of funny, but an old photo of my pantry (circa 2012) that I used in an article on Long Term Food Storage and probably posted on here has been turned into a facebook meme. Someone in my church shared it... and I about fell out of the bed this morning. It has been shared 5,000+ times. I wish it still looked like this! It's not as clean or as fat as it used to be. Praying for God to bless!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
It would be an understatement to say that I am happy that the "old" folks have reappeared. I stumbled upon this by pure accident. I would dare call it a miracle.

Y'all life has changed since my last post in this journal back in 2013. I had to basically quit all my self reliant projects when I moved off to college in 2015. My mom and aunt still manage them to some degree, but it is nothing like it was. At that time, I also quit writing for Backwoods Home. My life shifted and I wasn't an active participant in that life anymore.

Since August 2015, I have lived in Lexington going to UK. I spent a year traveling and teaching high school students as an officer for an organization I was part of. Then following that I spent six months preparing to run for a national position--I was not elected, but was a finalist. Now, I am a year away from graduating and getting a big boy job.

I am still an active member in our church, and my mother, sister, and I sometimes travel with some friends of ours to sing mountain gospel music at revivals, and homecomings throughout Eastern Kentucky. We ain't really that good, but we have a great time.

This semester has hit me hard. I have made my fair share of mistakes, and been broken hearted some. So, if anyone has tips on wrangling in a sweet southern belle please send them my way ;). Tis' life, right?

Latest posts