Basic dehydrating question

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am new to dehydrating, and was wondering how much combining one can do. In other words, if I put both onions and mushrooms in the dehydrator (on different trays) will the mushrooms take on the onion flavor?

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I have never tried that, but I would think that there would have to be some transfer of aromas or flavors. We have our dehydrator setting on a small attached and enclose porch off my shop. The aromas from different things, like onions or mushrooms, can be very distinct when you open the door in the morning, so I can imagine you might pollute the mushrooms with onion scent.

We always have enough stuff to dry that we fill the dehydrator with just one item, and never have a problem.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am not going to be any help with your specific problem; however, I had an active dehydrating gardener tell me that she keeps a couple of trays marked for her hot peppers and never uses the trays for anything else. As I understand it, she used these pepper trays even after washing, and some hot pepper taste developed in a tray of apples that she was doing.

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers.

I purchased a refurbished dehydrator, and perhaps I should have purchased a smaller one. My intention is to have it full when running to save energy, but I have some mushrooms that need to be cooked, eaten or dried, etc., but won't nearly fill the dehydrator. I will just use it without filling it up.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Onions might be a problem because they are so powerfull-:hit
But I almost always have different things drying at the same time. I just usually have to move them up or down periodically as the have different drying times. I sometimes do different things on the same tray. Have for years, The last drying thing was celery and green peppers. I had a bit of each left over that was going to spoil so I cut them up and dried them together.
I have always stored each seperately though.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I usually mix items for drying too, but never mushrooms and onions. I have never noticed a problems with transferring of tastes--but thats not to say that it can't happen.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Oh boy....:rolleyes: I made this boo-boo last year. I did mix some veggies in mine, onions, carrots, peas and shrooms. When I opened the dehydrator, everything smelled like onion. Waste not want not, so I ground them up and put them into my veggie meatoaf.

But other than onions, I mix all kinds of my other veggies when I dry. Oh yeah, don't dry hot peppers with your veggies, the pepper oil is brought out during the process.

Home Maker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Metal peddler, The first and only thing I've done was a dehydrator full of onions. My husband could hardly stay in the house! It was rough on the eyes. I have a 50-lb. bag sitting here waiting to be processed......

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Juice some of them! You can can up the juice or even freeze it(would make your freezer stink) in bags. You can add this juice to soup stock, livestock water for the immunity boosting properties, etc.