Bathtub project for the dogs

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My DH told a friend that works for a national chain of building material stores that he wanted a tub for our dogs. The friend showed up with a tub that was damaged and was destined for the trash.

2536_bathtub.jpg

So here is my question, what can I do to make this look a little better? I have all winter to do something with it so the dogs can have a cool dip in their very own tub of water in the summer. Or do I even want to do anything with it? Just set it up on bricks to keep the bottom from rusting out? Our backyard looks like a barren wasteland, the dogs keep most of the grass that is struggling to survive in the shade, either dug up or beaten down with their big feet. The front yard is neat, beds lined with bricks, the garden is lovingly cared for and we get compliments on it all the time. Then there is the backyard........chicken coop, 2 big dogs, bare dirt, stuff laying around that I need to haul off, and now a gleaming big white bathtub. Can I get any more redneck than this? Maybe I could find an old toilet to put next to the bathtub and plant flowers in it?? :lol: I am totally open for ideas. :gig

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe you could try used brick as a frame to set the tub in. It would look nice and used brick should be sturdy enough to last a long time.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Maybe a nice treated lumber frame to hold the tub to a certain height for ease on your back while bathing the dogs? Also a nice set of steps or a ramp to make for ease in putting the big dogs into the bath. Would also make a great place to do some potting of plants or a nice cold frame in the early spring with some bags of soil with the tops cut open and a light framed topper with a double layer of plastic to complete the cold frame.

After you are done using it as a cold frame it could transition well into the summer bathing spot for dogs and go back to being a cold frame for the fall and winter. Be a good place to hold chickens prior to processing, etc.

Many, many great uses for an outside tub in a frame that puts it up to a working height.

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Maybe you could try used brick as a frame to set the tub in. It would look nice and used brick should be sturdy enough to last a long time.
It would indeed look very nice and surely will last for some time.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Could you strategically place some broken concrete around it on three sides, then wood steps on the last side? Some dirt around the concrete, some flower seeds or plants like hen&chicks, etc.
Keeping the plumbing above ground would make it so much easier to drain the tub. Depending on the soap you used, you could even recycle the water, too.

I have an old, claw foot tub that is stored...waiting for some creative use. :cool:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. I considered building a frame to set the tub in and make it look nice, then pushed it up against the deck on the "wall" side and put a plug in it. I blocked it up off the ground and filled it with water. I really thought about making it pretty, but with the BBD (BIG BLACK DOG) :lol: ripping around the yard followed by his partner in crime, the GP, I knew pretty wouldn't last 'till the water got hot.

Parker is very happy with the results.

2536_parkers_bathtub.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here is another use for an old used bathtub. Grand child entertainment!!

2536_bathtub_pool.jpg