Baymule's Pigs 2017-2018

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First off, let me clarify-- we ain't got a lick of sense. I repeat, we ain't got a lick of sense.

Last night I was looking at Craigslist and at 10:37 I found an ad for 2 pigs. A 1 year old boar and 2 year old sow, take both for $75. I had to read it a few times to make sure it really said both for $75. I read it to my husband. Then we tried to talk ourselves out of buying the pigs. We wrangled with it and finally came to the conclusion that we'd have to be purdy darn stupid to pass up a deal like that. No picture, really buying a pig in a poke.

Being late, I texted and we went to bed. I got a response at a quarter to midnight but I slept through it. I responded this morning and the upshot was, we were going to go get them between 1 and 2 PM.

Still had chickens in the trailer from the poultry trades day a week ago. Moved the half grown ducks in with the big ducks, put the chickens in the little ducks pen.

The Hawg Hut was in the backyard and needed to go through 2 gates, down the driveway and through another gate to the front pasture. We called Robert over to help. With DH on the Kawasaki Mule, we jockeyed the Hut around. The skids have holes drilled through and I have pins I put through and we wrap a chain around them. We had to take up part of a fence. When we got it lined up, DH took off and didn't stop until he was at the pasture gate. He swung wide and dragged the Hawg Hut to it's new home.

There was a mangled mess of a car body in the trees and Robert chained onto it and dragged it out. It was the entire rear end of an old 1951 Studebaker. A neighbor, Jerry, came over to get it for scrap metal. He was glad to get it but we were even more glad to get rid of it.

img_2073-jpg.39008

We took a cold water break, DH was sweat soaked,dirty and splattered from washing out the trailer. He headed for the shower. I finished up outside.

We went to get the pigs, about 45 minutes away. That lady had rabbits, goats, ducks, chickens, quail and a ram. All were healthy, we'll fed, and very friendly. Her pens were a hodgepodge of pallets, wire and scrap lumber. The pens were clean. There was no smell. She had a LOT of animals but it was obvious she took very good care of them. The pigs were friendly and looked happy and healthy. I couldn't help but think of BYH and how many people are living their dreams with their small farms.

She, her son and his wife walked the pigs to our trailer using hog panels held together at the ends. I coaxed them in the trailer using dog food and the door slid shut.

The lady had on a tank top that showed red marks on a very flat chest that bespoke radiation burns and a double mastectomy. I didn't have to ask. She said she was tired of pigs and I paid her. We figured this lady had seen the dark side of hell and her animals were her sanity and gave her something to get up for every morning.

We got them home and turned them out.

img_2075-jpg.39009

img_2076-jpg.39010

She said the Sow has had 2 litters. We plan on letting them breed, then slaughtering the boar. After she weans the pigs, we'll sell them and slaughter her. Neighbors have already come over to admire them. They weigh between 300 and 400 pounds. Seventy five dollars. The chickens bought them. We used egg money.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we ain't got a lick of sense

YOU said it -- won't disagree....been there! :hide

finally came to the conclusion that we'd have to be purdy darn stupid to pass up a deal like that

YEP -- definite value. And, it doesn't matter the architect, so long as the animals show good health and obvious handling traits. I'm glad & sorry for you all at once :lol: If they were together at her farm she may already be bred. :idunno So, freezer full..what's a few more hundred pounds between friends & family???

The red one looks maybe Hereford? Well, little pigs are so darn cute! :gig :woot Coming SOOOON -- :pop

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They were in separate pens, but they aren't now! LOL Hope she has a large litter!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's waaaaaay cool! Maybe you can get LS a started piglet. If he takes it when it's little he can just put it in the cab of the truck with him and close all the windows....maybe it won't jump out! ;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM you're killing me! Lol

I'm curious how the boar will turn out. I have never had the desire to try eating a boar, a lot of meat wasted if I'm one of the unfortunate ones to end up with one with taint. My phone will only load one picture, but the one I can see looks good!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh there's the other pic. That boar is wild looking. His body coloring is similar to the old spot/duroc I had last year but the head is so different, and he is leggy. Interesting looking pig. Their piglets should be pretty cool looking!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The white one is the sow, the boar is red with black spots. I've made sausage with gamy old buck deer and it turned out good. I am going to feed them hay and alfalfa cubes along with their feed. We'll see!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like him! I wonder if there is any Hereford in him...and old spot? But, I looked up the pics of both and they both have big floppy ears....and he doesn't. But Yorks have uppity ears and his mama is sposed to be half York... who knows? Anyway, he is a pretty cool looking mutt!

The AGH boar we are eating has absolutely no taint. Good thing cuz I'd hate to have to cook all that pig for the dogs and chickens, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got any acorns? This time of year you might find 'em. Some years ago I had access to a lot of wormy pecans...pigs loved them....pigs tasted awesome!!! That was some good pork right there!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yes I could see his... Boar-ness. Lol they don't hide those things well, they're kinda all out there for the world to see! Lol

The sow looks similar to my gilt. Mine has one or two random dark spots on her as well. She's got a nice shape to her.