Baymule's Pigs 2017-2018

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is our third time with pigs and we have bought them all from Craigslist. Kudos to you for planning on raising your own pigs!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is our third time with pigs and we have bought them all from Craigslist. Kudos to you for planning on raising your own pigs!

Did I mention I really like you? I think I did... I've re-read this thread several times... the more times I read it, the more I like you. I've only dreamed about being as self sufficient as you and your husband / family are. I stand to learn a ton from you.

All humor aside... Learning is the main reason I joined SS in the first place. Lord knows I have a lot to learn.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@baymule SCORE on those pigs! Very sensible purchase ;) Sounds like a wonderful price to me, though i have no clue what pigs go for in the States, that is not a lot of money for a lot of bacon and they look great, the two of them. I feel for their previous owner, poor lady.. In times like that animals can be wonderful to have around though and it sounds like they were well looked after.

@crealbilly I've kept and raised quite a few animals and I'm still learning stuff here all the time :) It's wonderful when a group like this gets together and shares info and experiences (and humour!).

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@crealbilly that is so sweet of you and I like you too. You are immensely talented in all things wood. I think you are awesome.

The best advice I can give you regarding pigs is; just jump in. It ain't rocket science. If I can you can too!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am soaking the corn now. They've been corn fed all their lives and didn't take kindly to pellets. So I have 7 buckets working, they get 2 a day. I use a cup to take some water from a already soaking bucket to start the new bucket. I also put a little lime in the bucket, corn is soaked in lime water for tortillas, it is supposed to release more of the corn nutrients. I put a gallon of whey in the first batch of buckets and a beer. They also get scraps from the house.

I measured the sow today, using the formula from @NH Homesteader. I can't get that close and personal with the boar. Her heart girth is 54", her length is either 54" or 50", depending if her head is up of down eating.

Girth 54x54=2916x Length 54=157,464/400=393.66 pounds

Girth 54x54=2916x Length 50=145,800/400=364.5 pounds

The boar is a lot bigger than the sow, so we estimate his weight to be 400 to 425 pounds.

I made an appointment for the boar November 6 for slaughter.

We bought them October 1, the sow was in heat. I don't know if they bred or not. I'll know if she comes back in heat the week of the 22nd. That will be his last chance before he goes to freezer camp. We'll see....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hogs are kinda like goats for breeding -- IF IT's THERE, they will find it!!!! :old :lol:

I suspect late Jan there will be piglets. Wooohooo, pics! Baby pigs are so, so cute.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for bacon seeds!