Baymule's Pigs 2017-2018

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Soaking the corn is really helping. I couldn't fill them up! They were so hungry all the time. Now, I can feed them in the morning, yesterday and today, they still had feed when I fed them in the evening. This evening I fed them the last bucket that had pellets in it. No more pellets, they just don't like them. I had run out of corn, so we went to the feed store for 10 bags. I started 4 buckets this evening and added some of that whey I got from @Devonviolet on BYH. We also got a bale of hay for the pigs. I am going to spray it with the whey to get their interest. We'll see how that goes.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh pigs do love whey! I've never seen a pig turn down grain, you've got some weird ones there.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Let's see here
IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_20171011_161921642_HDR.jpg

Yep :drool

What's the best headshot round for a pig? I don't what blow out but a clean shot. Or is there a better way?

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH uses his .410

He's found the best way, safest and most effective, is to feed the pig and stand behind it. Behind the ear there's a soft indent (they love it when you pet them there too). If you place the shot there at an angle, aiming for the opposite eye, they drop with no drama. The other way is to visualize an X from the ears to the opposite eye and aim in the middle of the X. He's not had as much luck with this, although I think it's the more common placement.

Doing one this weekend, I'll try to get pics.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I assume so? I don't get involved with that part. I'll ask him when he gets home. He used to use a .22 but they tend to rattle around in there which isn't ideal. And he has had to do second shots with a .22, which no one wants to do. He said a .380 would be good as far as handguns go, but he prefers using his rifle.

I go inside with DD because she doesn't like watching that part yet so no personal experience.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH uses his .410

He's found the best way, safest and most effective, is to feed the pig and stand behind it. Behind the ear there's a soft indent (they love it when you pet them there too). If you place the shot there at an angle, aiming for the opposite eye, they drop with no drama. The other way is to visualize an X from the ears to the opposite eye and aim in the middle of the X. He's not had as much luck with this, although I think it's the more common placement.

Doing one this weekend, I'll try to get pics.

Thank You!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
... I am not actually butchering a pig this weekend. But I'll get pics when we do, probably next month.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope not a slug. Buck shot, has 3 pellets (DH said they're each about the size of a .380) He said slugs would make more of a mess.

Latest posts