Baymule's Pigs 2017-2018

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dang! I'm happy for you and your husband - It sure is nice cooking what you raised. Looks absolutely delicious :ep

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yay! Glad it came out so well! How many lbs did you get back?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hanging weight was 245 on the sow and 214 on the boar. One of the families buying a half hog backed out because they had to rush their daughter to the ER, she had surgery to remove her appendix. They had no insurance, the bill is $29,000. I understand, that's their child. She was gracious enough to "store" the meat in her freezer until we can do something with it. We have liver, chopped fat and a hog head split in two in a neighbor's freezer.

The other family over paid us. Their half was $488, he handed us $500 and refused change. We are brining their bacon and will smoke and slice it in a few days. He offered to pay us for that, but we refused.

Processing on both hogs came to $584.05
Purchase both hogs $75
Feed $164
Total cost $823.05
Less $500

Our cost $323.05

We had the hogs 36 days. We are pleased.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hanging weight was 245 on the sow and 214 on the boar. One of the families buying a half hog backed out because they had to rush their daughter to the ER, she had surgery to remove her appendix. They had no insurance, the bill is $29,000. I understand, that's their child. She was gracious enough to "store" the meat in her freezer until we can do something with it. We have liver, chopped fat and a hog head split in two in a neighbor's freezer.

The other family over paid us. Their half was $488, he handed us $500 and refused change. We are brining their bacon and will smoke and slice it in a few days. He offered to pay us for that, but we refused.

Processing on both hogs came to $584.05
Purchase both hogs $75
Feed $164
Total cost $823.05
Less $500

Our cost $323.05

We had the hogs 36 days. We are pleased.

That's like the deal of the century and you didn't even get your hands bloody.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tonight we had porkchops from the sow. They were less marbled with fat than the boar. They were just on the verge of being a little chewy. The flavor was excellent. I would give the boar an A++ and the sow an A for meat quality, tenderness and taste. We are really happy that we bought these hogs. Along with the porkchops, we had a green leafy salad with pomegranate.

IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That looks so yum! The pork chops I buy here have most of the fat trimmed off :(

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks so yum! The pork chops I buy here have most of the fat trimmed off :(
On some of the pork chops, there is a wide band of fat. I trim it off, roll it in flour and fry it too. :drool We carefully divide it up equally, I make sure to cut it into an even number of pieces! ;)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had 90 pounds of meat in our friends freezer, no way to fit it into ours. A friend in Livingston offered us a small chest freezer last week when we were down there. We were in the car, not the truck, so we didn't get it.

But what to do with this meat? We decided to give it to a couple that we have been friends with for years. We gave them the freezer that we couldn't pick up, as well, since they didn't have one. They were thrilled beyond words. We were blessed with all this meat, we made a darn good deal on it. We have plenty, so why not share the wealth. They got the freezer yesterday, took it home, cleaned it up and plugged it in.

They came up today, we had lunch and visited. I had cooked some of the pan sausage this morning and they ate some of it. I cooked a pork roast for our lunch and they loved it. They couldn't believe that we were just giving them the meat. We packed their meat into their ice chests and they went home.

We thank God for all our blessings. He gives us so much.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Bless you Baymule, for your generosity. You made those people's Xmas and festive season very special now :) A freezer and all that meat is a wonderful gift!

Latest posts