Baymule's Pigs 2017-2018

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had 90 pounds of meat in our friends freezer, no way to fit it into ours. A friend in Livingston offered us a small chest freezer last week when we were down there. We were in the car, not the truck, so we didn't get it.

But what to do with this meat? We decided to give it to a couple that we have been friends with for years. We gave them the freezer that we couldn't pick up, as well, since they didn't have one. They were thrilled beyond words. We were blessed with all this meat, we made a darn good deal on it. We have plenty, so why not share the wealth. They got the freezer yesterday, took it home, cleaned it up and plugged it in.

They came up today, we had lunch and visited. I had cooked some of the pan sausage this morning and they ate some of it. I cooked a pork roast for our lunch and they loved it. They couldn't believe that we were just giving them the meat. We packed their meat into their ice chests and they went home.

We thank God for all our blessings. He gives us so much.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Free meat and a freezer to put it in. Surely God is smiling on you and you husband right about now :)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow! I need to get some pigs.

If you still need to unload some pork let me know. I'd buy a few lbs from ya.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow! I need to get some pigs.

If you still need to unload some pork let me know. I'd buy a few lbs from ya.

Pigs are easy to raise and don't cost a lot. Build you a good pen and shelter for them and go for it. If you are going to have it processed, set the date as soon as you can for about 6-8 months of age.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pigs are easy to raise and don't cost a lot. Build you a good pen and shelter for them and go for it. If you are going to have it processed, set the date as soon as you can for about 6-8 months of age.

I quote "good pen" trust me when I say it's never a good thing when your wife has to shoe one home from 1/2 mile way with a big stick. They can run away pretty fast from a woman with a big stick. Consider staked rooting boards also... I ended up using rooting logs to keep chopper in the pen. I swear that pig was houdini or could jump 6 feet high or had wings. I would find him out of the pen and couldn't figure out how he got out.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I had one of those. We actually called him "Jumping Pig", because no matter what I did to the pen, he got out. My MIL's gardener, Jackson, used to help me round him up and chase him back to the pen. The number of times I went out and yelled "Jackson! The !@#$%^! pig is out again!" And Jackson would burst out laughing and go down to the pen with me… We'd get the pig cornered and into the empty pen next to his, catch him, slap him around the head for his troubles (me) and toss him back into his pen. Only to do it all again the next day…

One day we chased JP again, off the empty pen he trotted, jumped over the fence into the pen... and misjudged his landing. He landed flat on his face and went rear over feet, rolling over to his back, before scrambling to his feet. The funny part was he did it so graciously, you'd swear he practiced for weeks. Jackson and I laughed so hard, I didn't slap him for his troubles that day! I felt a mix of sadness and relief when JP's butcher day came finally. I certainly will never forget that animal!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So whaddaya do on a cold day? Sit outside and smoke the bacon! DH is upset with me. He is sick and I won't let him out to play. Smoking meat is his job, but not today. Got the first batch in the house, working on second batch.

IMG_2225.JPG

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So whaddaya do on a cold day? Sit outside and smoke the bacon! DH is upset with me. He is sick and I won't let him out to play. Smoking meat is his job, but not today. Got the first batch in the house, working on second batch.

View attachment 5501

Makes me sad that I don't have any... But makes me happy for you and your husband that you guys have lots. Smoked pork belly - THUMBS_UP

Tell your husband to get well soon!

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh my gosh… :drool Bay that looks amazing! Hope DH gets to feel better soon. I'd be mad too if I had to sit inside while this is going on outside! lol