Baymule's Pigs 2018 HEREFORDS!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We loaded them up last night. I skipped a couple of feedings, so they were hungry. My husband backed the trailer up several days ago and I opened the end gate so they could get used to looking at it and it wouldn't be something new. I put a tub in it and dumped their stinky sour corn in it and DH opened the pen gate. They came out, snuffling around, making no attempt to get in the trailer.

But I had a secret weapon. BOILED EGGS! I smushed one in my hand and tossed it in the trailer. They caught a whiff of it and came charging in. I lobbed some more in the front of the trailer and they rushed forward. SLAM! The end gate shut and SLAM! the mid-divider gate shut. Have never had a problem loading hogs. Greed gets 'em every time.

Then we loaded up Dinner the wether lamb. I've been stroking his neck at feeding time for a week or so and it was easy to slip a rope around his neck and tie it up. Then the fun began. He lunged, flew up in the air (who knew sheep had wings?) and ran circles around me. I had a halter of sorts to put on him and he wasn't having it. I tackled him and we both went rolling in the sheep lot, mud and poop. My husband rushed up to help and together we held him and got the halter (really a dog harness) on him and to the trailer we went.

I was afraid of Dinner getting too close to the divider gate and the hogs grabbing his leg, so I tied him to the back of the trailer. He didn't like this and started climbing, yelling his head off. Wound up cross tying him. I checked on him several times before we went to bed and he was ok. Not happy, but ok. Normally I take the lambs separately, but it was only one and I didn't want to make a special trip for one. He was about a year old and needed to go.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hanging weight on Piper (the one with the most white) is 188 pounds.

Hanging weight on Poodle is 178 pounds.

Hanging weight on the lamb is 51 pounds.

Latest posts