BBQ Rabbit

kenman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was asked on another thread to post this and so here goes:
BBQ Rabbit
Put your rabbit either cut up or whole (I usually process mine at about 4-6 pounds or around 12 weeks) in a baking dish. Chop up a medium onion and sprinkle on rabbit. Salt and pepper both sides (make sure you season the loin) to taste and then pour over your favorite BBQ sauce. Bake at 350 degrees or until tender. Then put on your bib because your gonna get messy. We use a thick sauce similar to KC Masterpiece.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mmmmmm.........My favorite dish...... Only I make my own homemade BBQ sauce so I can get it just the way I like it. Nothing better than rabbit.

kenman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
Mmmmmm.........My favorite dish...... Only I make my own homemade BBQ sauce so I can get it just the way I like it. Nothing better than rabbit.
I agree, nothing better then rabbit. What would it take to pry that recipe out of your fingers? :D

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Unfortunately I lost the recipe, but in general it was liquid smoke flavoring, katchup, brown sugar, onion, garlic, worchestershire sauce and anything else I thought sounded good. The first time I used the recipe, but the next time I went by ear-or rather by taste-and it turned out really good.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
The other day, my ds had two friends stay over for a coupla days. Besides the fact that they live on a farm, these boys are spoiled and eat junk. So, as I';m preparing to feed 6 ppl, I asked dh what to cook for supper. He says in a very firm voice RABBIT!.

I said --seriously?, thinking that i doubt they would eat it. so I took out two packages of rabbit, processed by yours truly. I cooked it up, served it to my family and guests. The one boy picked his bone so clean, and the other boy commented on how good that was, better than chicken, and they both kept raving.

(The next night I cooked one of my very own chicken, again processed by yours truly. They said there was no comparison to my chicken to the storebought kind they are used to eating..)

Golden Fried Rabbit.

mix together flour, salt, pepper and paprika (no measurements, sorry)
put in bag and shake rabbit peices to coat. Heat oil in skillet and add peices just to brown.

Transfer to roasting pan, place pieces in roaster and pour one bottle of beer over top of rabbit, but just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.

Bake at 300 to 350 for an hour or two. (very versatile, choose your temp and time, I did 300 for two hours) for the last 1/2 hour, remove lid

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I personally think rabbit is the best meat there is. I just love it. It is definately better than chicken.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
On my farm, the animals are all my responsibility. Hubby helps out minimally, as per my request. My dh didn't want rabbits, and made it clear that all aspects of keeping them were TOTALLY MY responsibility--so don't ask. So, I raise them , and i process them. he wanted nothing to do with them, and has made it known from the beginning. He will feed the horses, and the ducks, but walk right past the rabbits.

Well, I think that is starting to change as he's been getting his belly filled with yummy rabbit meat. The other day I walked into the barn and caught him filling up a rabbit waterer, which would NEVER have happened before.