Bean Cakes

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did something new yesterday for dinner - new for me anyway; maybe others have been making these for years :D. I had some leftover white beans that I had made to go with the lamb we had the other evening - soaked, and cooked in the crockpot with some garlic, rosemary, and some leek greens. I fancied something Indian yesterday, so I made an eggplant curry, and used some of the beans for bean cakes, just using the spices that were going in the curry.

2 cups cooked white beans
1/2 cup quinoa - washed, and simmered for 20 minutes in 1 cup water - made about 1 3/4 cups
1 clove garlic, minced
about 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds, whole, dry roasted
about 1/2 tsp each cumin seeds and coriander seeds, dry roasted and ground
1/4 tsp turmeric
Fresh red chile pepper, minced, to taste - I used the part that didn't go into the curry
Several green onions and a small handfull of cilantro, chopped

Put everything in the food processor, and process to a thick puree. Heat some fat in a large skillet, and drop spoonfuls of the puree into the pan. Flatten with a spatula, and cook until brown on the bottom. Turn, and cook till brown on the other side.

These were very good; even DH asked for seconds, which rather surprised me :) - he doesn't appreciate "made up" recipes, though he is quite OK with adding or subtracting from "real" recipes :rolleyes:. I didn't tell him this was made up as I went along. I did them as written, but can easily imagine that they are endlessly variable. Different beans, different grain, different spices. Black beans, maybe, with southwestern spicing, or maybe some white beans with Herbes de Provence for a Mediterranean flavor.

The grain helped them to hold together, and upped the protein count, but was not noticeable in the final product.

Edited: spelling

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
That sounds like a nice recipe. SO is the same as your DH. If I say I got the recipe on line, it's ok, if I make it up, he makes a face. :p :rolleyes: