bean pot and crock stone ware what all can they be used for.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, my question is, what were stoneware bean pots used for? Storing beans or cooking them? I have one from an auction that I would love to incorporate into my kitchen but dont want to ruin it.
What are stome other crocks that can still be used in the kitchen. I know the traditional crocks for making cucumbers and soaking meats ib them, but can you cook with them? :/ Thanks

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
opiemaster said:
Well, my question is, what were stoneware bean pots used for? Storing beans or cooking them? I have one from an auction that I would love to incorporate into my kitchen but dont want to ruin it.
What are stome other crocks that can still be used in the kitchen. I know the traditional crocks for making cucumbers and soaking meats ib them, but can you cook with them? :/ Thanks
I WOULD NOT try to cook in an old bean pot or crock. most modern stoves apply too much heat too fast. and stoneware can crack and shatter if treated so. [Modern crock pots are different] Our bean pot was used to soak beans overnight. in the morning the water was replaced and the pot was on the back [or in oven] while the fire was stoked up to cooking temperature. beans should simmer not boil. Actually a good crock can stand a lot of heat but sudden changes can be killers. Most stone ware is just plain too heavy to cook with.~gd

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for that info, I was just wondering.. You saved the day!!:cool:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe you could use it to make big batches of pickles. I make spicy sweet pickles that require a 24 hour soak in lime water, it makes them crisp. I usually use a 5 gallon bucket. A big crock would be nice!

Latest posts