Bed Marker for Garlic

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just look at that rich, black soil....... :drool :drool Now coveting your soils....what will become of me? :p

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK...that is some serious garlic growing.

My father told me about a decade ago of a guy that planted about an acre of garlic....he sold it to restaurants and stores.

Made about $1000 off that one acre.

Can you explain what you do with your garlic?

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We get $8.00/lb here at our Farmer's Market, too. However, we tell them it's $.50/oz. - not as much sticker shock.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am considering planting some this year. I love garlic.

Do you have to worry much about varmints?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Around here it sell for about $10.00 per lb at the farmer's market. We sell it for around $8.00 per lb.
We sort ours before storing it. the biggest and best get set aside for planting. That way we don't accidentally sell/use or give away what we need for planting. We only plant the bigger bulbs. We toss the little stuff into a "give-away" or use basket.

I try and get some "new" garlic to add every year or so. I just want to keep it diverse, so that in case something happens to bother one type of garlic, we will still have other's that are not affected by the adversity. It has worked for us so far.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
ScottSD wrote:
I am considering planting some this year. I love garlic.

Do you have to worry much about varmints?
Our biggest problem in the garlic patch is chickens. They love to scratch in it and end up digging up the garlic. So we fence them out.
Not much else bothers with garlic. It's pretty easy to grow as long as soil and water conditions are right

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so, where's the best place to buy planting stock for garlic when you're just getting started?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hey ScottSD--This is only my 3rd year growing, so I'm no expert, but I have read a bit about it.

1. Pests: We have none. No disease. No varmints. Nothing. Awesome!

2. Value: At $1-1.25/bulb and garlic planted 8" on the square, a person could make WAY MORE than $1000/acre. Especially if you eventually build up enough stock to replant your own.

3. Where to buy?: I would try to find a local grower if possible. I got my first stock from a very local guy, the second year from multiple locals (face-to-face, online and farmer's markets) and now have enough of my own to keep for replanting.

Good luck!

Latest posts