bee hive in my duck box

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So a hive of bees moved into my duck box stuck on a tree, and they appear to be rapidly outgrowing it. I am really glad to have a local hive, right next to my garden no less, but they will not survive the winter in that box. It is totally unprotected from the elements, and surely they will freeze. We have a friend who has an empty box hive which he says we may have, but I don't know if there's a way to get the bees to move to the new location. And just for everyone's information, DH is extremely allergic to bees, so they would be my territory. Should I call a beekeeper, or can I move them myself? I've heard something about banging on a box..... Any tips? Do you think the hive will just move out when they realize it's not the best wintering spot?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I think you can call your county extension office and they will direct you to someone who can remove them for you.

Good luck!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Put the friend's hive with frames under the tree. If the spot they're in is getting crowded, they may swarm....and go right to the hive. No work on your part except to put the hive there.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, it's getting late in the year for a swarm. They're gathering and processing nectar right now to set stores for the winter. Your best bet is to find a beekeeper to help you move them into a better hive body. Have you checked with your extension service? I'm going to give you a link to the beekeeping associations in your state, hopefully one of them can help you:

Iowa Dept. of Agriculture Beekeeping Information

Good luck and let us know how it works out!
bee.gif

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We had a swarm of Italians move into our pine tree last year in late September, which is why I mentioned swarming.

Good luck, mp!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
keljonma said:
We had a swarm of Italians move into our pine tree last year in late September, which is why I mentioned swarming.

Good luck, mp!
Oh, I'm sure it can happen, but it won't make it - there's no time for them to build up either honeycomb or stores, poor things. Unless you're in a year-round climate, in that case, watch out that they aren't a bit hot!