Bee~ Journal of then...

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Bee in your defense of eating a named cow.

You eat a named cow - with a fork - just like any other cow.

Come on now you Self Sufficient folks. We all know that animals may be for eating... that is what we do. Auction is a choice, but so is the freezer. Each choice has benefits to the Self Sufficient lifestyle.

Just be glad that this little heifer will be cared about enough to HAVE a name and someone to really care for her... no matter WHAT her final fate.
:)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My family named our larger meat animals. Big Mac, Quarter Pounder, Lambchop......

:thumbsup for putting it back into perspective, ff.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'm going to buy her an adjustable halter and teach her to lead beside her mama, so she will be docile and easy to work with when I start to separate her and mom.

Quail called first dibs, Aiden!!! :lol:

It will depend on how much weight she puts on before Nov. whether she is hay money or in a jar. If she will be hay money, I'll give you all a shout and we will auction her off! ;) :lol:
Uh, you just said I had dibs!! AND I'm in driving distance :p

You can totally eat a named cow!! We had a "pet" cow named Nosey! Best beef I ever tasted! Melted right in my mouth!!!

Bee, I want Shade for a MILK cow.... :p I'll eat Chase...

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Too cute and mama is looking sooooooooo much better! How can you get anything done with something that cute running around the yard?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Bee...she is beautifull!! :celebrate Man oh Man...I am so jealous! I like Shade for a name....it fits her. But...how ya gonna eat a named cow?? :/ Guess we are gonna have to fight for the right to own her....bring on the auction!! :p
Yeah, Justy, my co-workers are going nuts because I told them I'd be eating her this fall! :lol:

I guess folks would have to understand how I was raised. No animal was considered indispensible.....they were first and foremost food for the family, no matter how cute, how much we enjoyed their antics, how good they fit their names, how much character they displayed. In the end, they were produced for one purpose only. We couldn't afford to keep animals until they were tough and arthritic, just for our own heart strings. They were for food only, for entertainment and companionship took a back seat to that. We learned love and loss and were stronger for it.

We are all born for a purpose and we all return to dust, human and animal alike. It says that in the Bible. I will be dust one day. I have a lot of likable traits and, believe it or not, I was once very cute and adorable also. But God put me here to be a mother, first of all. My purpose was to raise strong young men with a heart for God's purpose.

Then a nurse, so that I could show compassion on those who need it most.

As a daughter for a lonely mother in need of a friend.

As an example, for those who are unable to learn peace of mind and a joyful spirit. For those who have forgotten their purpose. Their animal's purpose. Everyone needs a purpose in life.

Shade has a purpose. Her kind has been food for man since the beginning of time, since Eve rejected the vegetarian lifestyle... :lol:

Shade will be loved, cosseted, brushed, hugged, admired and given the best of natural care on this earth. She will not be forced to undergo life in a feedlot, lost on the muddy, barren ground, sniffing the edges of the fence for the scent of green grass. She will not have dosings of harsh chemicals or a high corn diet that will distress her stomach and make her kick herself in pain.

She will frolic, roll in, eat, and relish, the tender green grass of my little plot of land. She will be refreshed by the sweet waters, eat her fill of crisp apples, lounge in the ample shade of my trees and will stay with her mother until its time to fulfill her purpose in life.

Then Shade will nourish our bodies and will return to the Earth from whence she came.

Shade will be loved and remembered and she will have done what God intended for her to do. What more could one ask? That we should all be so lucky! :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Then Shade will nourish our bodies and will return to the Earth from whence she came.

Shade will be loved and remembered and she will have done what God intended for her to do. What more could one ask? That we should all be so lucky! :)
:th

So much for our auction.....

:gig

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You were serious about that??? :th You folks are hilarious! I'll let you know how deer season goes. If it is provident, we may be having a Shade auction! :)