Bee~ Journal of then...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not me lives here at my house! :p

FF, the dog would dearly love a pepper egg! He is the same dog that eats all my tomatoes, all the paint balls(pooped green for a week), my rhubarb sets, all the apple drops, etc. He is usually not deterred by anything that taste hot or bitter....he's pretty nondiscriminate when eating~loves cat and chicken poop! :rolleyes:

I am currently retraining my layers to the nests in the coop. They will stay penned up until after 4 pm each day for a week until they get back to laying inside. We have to do this occasionally anyway, as they get tired of waiting for their "favorite" nest, completely ignore the 5 other empty nests, and will then find a hidey-hole outside in which to deposit their treasures! :p

I love this dog but he has caused a few problems in his day! If he wasn't so darn useful I would punch his ticket! :tongue

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
ticks said:
Hey beekissed, its been awhile since I have been on SS.
How have you been? :)
Hey, ticks! We've missed you big time!!! Tell us about your birds? I hear you are getting the geese fever, like myself. Did you see that we have another teen guy on here? Sounds like you all would hit it off, as his folks don't see his desire for the SS life....maybe you could hang out and talk about what you already know! After all, you've been here since the beginning with lots to contribute to the forum! :thumbsup

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
OH! Forget to tell you all......big score on a virtual mountain of horse and sheep manure for my orchard and garden!!! They will load it on my truck! :celebrate FREE crap! Love it!!!! :ya

I'm aware that the parasites from this manure may contaminate my pasture for my sheep, but I'm counting on the parasite resistance of my breed and my own vigilance in this matter to see me through. My sheep won't be on that pasture for another 2-3 months, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue by the time they are exposed to it. We'll see and jump that creek when we come to it.....til then, I'm simply ecstatic that I will have access to this source of manure! :weee :love

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
ticks said:
Hey beekissed, its been awhile since I have been on SS.
How have you been? :)
Hey, ticks! We've missed you big time!!! Tell us about your birds? I hear you are getting the geese fever, like myself. Did you see that we have another teen guy on here? Sounds like you all would hit it off, as his folks don't see his desire for the SS life....maybe you could hang out and talk about what you already know! After all, you've been here since the beginning with lots to contribute to the forum! :thumbsup
Teen, hobobrando you mean? He lives only a few miles from here. I wonder how he found this site ;)

I have a concert to go to, I will tell more when I get back.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Ah, Bee, I have dog like that too. We call him Kobi the Goat. He'll eat anything! His predecessor Bear was as bad. That dog ate a 5 pound bag of flour, a box of Bisquick, a bag of balloons (that one was colorful!), part of a sofa, and every egg he could find. Kobi does too. We finally configured the coop so that he can't get in but if my Sasha lays outside the coop I'll never see that egg.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Too bad about the dog and his taste buds! It was worth mentioning.

Too cool about the manure!

It is funny how we can get so excited about such a thing, but sister I hear ya!

I think I found a place to buy rabbit poo - packaged up in feed sacks and ready to go at a good price as well. Perfect for top dressing my veggie patch rows. I too am dancing in my shoes!:bun

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Hey, I would be back to talk, but tonight's the Salamander rain.
Gotta go help Salamanders cross the road!

In short, Bee, I'm good, and the birds are wonderful! :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Bee, great score on the poo! If it is piled up high enough to heat up, won't that kill all the wormies? And run your chickies through it, too!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It does have hay mixed in it but I don't know if its enough to heat up the pile with active composting. I'm going to save some in a pile for the garden and spread the rest on the grass as soon as possible. Can't get a load until maybe Saturday.

That is also the day I'm finishing the roof on the hay shed, butchering the culled chickens and building racks for the truck!

FF, sacked up rabbit poo is definitely a great find.....cool manuey that doesn't have to be composted before use...always a great find! :bun

My big, marked-for-death roo really did it this evening!!!! :somad He knocked over my egg basket and broke over half a doz. eggs...and one of them was a massive double yolker!!! :rant :somad I CAN'T WAIT to do this one in!!!! :smack

On a happier note....my librarian saw the light with my eggs. I think she thought she could get them cheaper close by her home, but returned to buying mine~3 dozen! She says they are the BEST eggs she has ever eaten and says she will speak to her local B&B about getting some~the lady is a master chef, so I think she will appreciate my eggs also. :)

The eggs are getting bigger each day and the yolks are really getting deep orange from all the new sprouts being ingested.