Beef and Tomato Soup

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
1 kilo beef mince
1 large carrot, halved lengthwise and chopped into half rounds
several potatoes, peeled and cubed until you have roughly the same amount as carrot
1 large onion, diced
Black pepper
Sea Salt
Italian herb seasoning
1 can tomato soup
Hot water
EVOO

Around 2:30pm or so, chop your veggies and prep the ingredients. In a stock pot, heat the EVOO, and cook the onions and mince until the beef is cooked. Add the carrots, potatoes and seasonings, stir well, add the can of soup (and a can of water to rinse it), and fill with hot water until the ingredients are covered. Heat until boiling, then turn heat to low and leave to simmer until about 5pm or so, with no lid, stirring occassionally. Dinner will be ready by that time. Serve with fresh baked bread and butter.

This is a very hearty and filling meal. Hubby loved it. :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Around here that's called Hamburger Soup, and it is very yummy :)

This is the version I make (except that I substitute ground bison for the ground beef, home made beef or bison stock for the consomm, use my own home canned tomatoes, and skip the can of tomato soup):

Hamburger Soup

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 medium onion,finely chopped
1 28 oz. can tomatoes
2 cups water 500 mL
3 10 oz. cans consomme
1 10 oz. can tomato soup
4 carrots, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
3 sticks celery, finely chopped parsley
pepper to taste
1/2 cup pot barley 125 mL

Instructions:
Brown meat and onions. Drain well. Combine all ingredients in large pot. Simmer covered, at least 2 hours, or all day. Serves 10.

Book Reference The Best of the Best Vol. 1 (Page: 119)

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If there is one thing I hate most in the world, it is any kind of stewed or cooked tomato that was left in chunks. XD

Tomato sauce? Wonderful.
Ketchup? Awesome.
Fresh tomatoes? Perfection.

Cooked and left in lumps? Nasty as all get out.

About the only exception to the rule is salsa. I have no idea why it is. :p Hence me using the can of tomato soup. That, and I want to move the tomato soup in cans out by spring and summer, so that I can start making our own. Most of the canned stuff hubby buys, but I'm trying to replace it with our own homegrown and homemade foodstuffs. We also have a ton of mince in the freezer.

This was a quick soup to make, and was nice because all I had to do was throw it together and leave it.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko-chan, my family are the same way about cooked tomatoes left in chunks. Hubs hates tomatoes unless they are sauce/ketchup etc.

So I always put them into the food processor (someday I'll get an immersion blender and I'll be laughing) before I add them to anything, but I can them whole (with skins off) because it's faster.