Beekeepers?

Emsevers

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but it didn't really seem to fit anywhere. Anyways, I was wondering if any of you keep bees to harvest honey and wax. I've been thinking about this for quite a while and it seems like there are so many benefits to keeping bees. You have the honey to start with, wax for making candles and other things and then the added benefit of have your own little pollinators.

I am especially interested to know if anyone keeps bees in a suburban setting. I've read a few different articles about people who keep bees right in the city and I was wanting to hear a first hand experience and maybe ask a few questions.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i've got 12 hives, but we're way out in the country. the guy i learned from lives just at the edge of town and has about 50 hives. he doesn't seem to have any problems being so close to town.

keeping bees is really interesting and rewarding, but, like everything else, it can be very nerveracking at the beginning. i would HIGHLY suggest doing some reading and contacting your local beekeepers association to see if there was someone who would show you around their set up to familiarize you with the ins and outs. just sitting in on meetings is really informative too.

good luck!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Emsevers said:
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but it didn't really seem to fit anywhere. Anyways, I was wondering if any of you keep bees to harvest honey and wax. I've been thinking about this for quite a while and it seems like there are so many benefits to keeping bees. You have the honey to start with, wax for making candles and other things and then the added benefit of have your own little pollinators.

I am especially interested to know if anyone keeps bees in a suburban setting. I've read a few different articles about people who keep bees right in the city and I was wanting to hear a first hand experience and maybe ask a few questions.
We have bees in a bedroom community of Boston as well as up on 2.4 acres in Maine - ask me anything you want :). I have a list I've created called 'Using Internet Resources', all about beekeeping, that we hand out each year at our club's bee school, I've just updated it. PM me your e-mail address (anyone else can, too!) and I'll send it along to you.
beekeeper.gif

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am a new beekeeper. I was able to go to "beeschool" here in Ohio in 2009 and as part of the grant each of us left school with two hives and bees. Unfortunately both hives died off during recent extreme cold here. I am now researching packages of bees so I can start over. I'm in the country but there is a lot of information on urban bee keeping on the internet. Join a county or regional bee club, I've learned lots from the more experienced members. There will be a bee conference in Wooster Ohio the first weekend in March that is great, lectures,workshops vendors, etc. Just remember that the first year you won't get much honey if you start with new hives/packages. they need to build up enough honey store to get them through the winter.

Hoosiermomma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ohioann said:
I am a new beekeeper. I was able to go to "beeschool" here in Ohio in 2009 and as part of the grant each of us left school with two hives and bees. Unfortunately both hives died off during recent extreme cold here. I am now researching packages of bees so I can start over. I'm in the country but there is a lot of information on urban bee keeping on the internet. Join a county or regional bee club, I've learned lots from the more experienced members. There will be a bee conference in Wooster Ohio the first weekend in March that is great, lectures,workshops vendors, etc. Just remember that the first year you won't get much honey if you start with new hives/packages. they need to build up enough honey store to get them through the winter.
Do you have a link for that conference? :)

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hoosiermomma said:
Ohioann said:
Do you have a link for that conference? :)
www.honeybeelab.com