BeeKeeping...Feeding Your Honeybees...

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When i first started beeking, my first bees came with an entrance feeder....disaster...! That entrance feeder invited yellow jackets, flys, wasp,ants,robbing, they all came.I've read on other threads here the merrits of the Imrie shime,baggie ziplock feeding and placing the baggies directly on top of the frames..Tried several time to respond to that thread on this subject but could not get in, weird.,but it's been my experience that you don't need to buy/build or use a Imrie Shime.Likewise you don't need to lift the inner cover and place a baggie on top of the frames to feed.Baggie/ziplocks work fine as most in hive feeders do, the advantage o baggies, they are cheap feeders.(Be careful, i've seen then bust open at the zipper drenching the girls, not a good thing.) What works well is a shallow, med, or deep box over the inner cover, with the feeding gear of your choice,then the outer cover, they all work..There is no need to lift the inner cover and disturb the harmony of the hive to feed.I have used homemade Imrie type shimes for top entrances and added ventalation.They are not needed for feeding in my experience.Small wood or anything wedges under the front of the inner cover provide needed ventalation as well on those hot days that the girls are fanning at the entrance.I enjoyed viewing your pics in the thread i tried several times to respond to unsuccessfully lorihadam, cute children.It's so nice to see young ones learning of nature and honeybees, keep up the good work....:)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, R2D2! :)

I've used small twigs to wedge in for added insulation.

At our beek meeting, we also learned to keep ants out, dust with cinnamon. I'm thinking about putting a bit of cinnamon on top of my inner hive cover next time I open it. Good idea, or no?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Thanks for the tips, R2D2! :)

I've used small twigs to wedge in for added insulation.

At our beek meeting, we also learned to keep ants out, dust with cinnamon. I'm thinking about putting a bit of cinnamon on top of my inner hive cover next time I open it. Good idea, or no?
The cinnamon does work to keep the ants out.

You need to sprinkle it arround the hive on the stand as well. It will need reapplied whenever it rains...or heavy dew.

As for cinnmaon on the inner cover, the bees will either ignore it or remove it as debris; each of my hives treated it differently.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Never knew about the cinnamon, interesting, thanks for the tip. If the bees aren't affected,why not on inner cover?, sounds good to me.A strong hive will keep ants in check,but they still are annoying pest.Did you mean using small twigs to wedge under inner cover for ventaltion..? Not sure how twigs would insulate..