Been reading things for a while but just joined...

NHFarmMomma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm "new" here though I have been reading lots of great information for a while. I just wanted to say I love all your posts about your farms, the things you can, the things you make... etc.

A little about me... I am from Grafton NH... Wife to my wonderful husband Larry, mom to Chloe (age 3), and I'm expecting a boy in late September!

We live off the grid and have a little farm way out in the woods. I am a very creative person and I'm always trying to come up with things to occupy my mind so I don't get too bored.

I work in a Bank as an Educator, I love to can lots of things... though I have only been doing it since last summer... I love to fish and do fun things outdoors with my family.

Hopefully I will have some great info to help people learn and grow as you all do!

I am so excited to be part of this community!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to Sufficient Self! Always glad to have new faces around here. Do you have any animals or are you strictly a garden farm?

NHFarmMomma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We do have lots of animals... I just started a little post in the journal area. Where are you from?

NHFarmMomma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, Just kidding... I can see you're from Missouri... Like I said... New to this. :D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Well I live in a big city over 150,000 people and have been urban homesteading for around 30 years! I have three kids all about your age. Yes indeed I am OLD! :old

I think it is great that you are able to raise your kids in a farm environment!

I am also a past horse person. When my D1 bought my fathers acreage she got to inherit the last of the ponies! Pony of the America's were our favorites, but we used to also own, Paints, Quarter Horses and Tennessee Walkers in addition to other Welsh cross ponies. Many of our horses were shown and broke to ride and drive.

What do you do with yours? Do you work your big man at all?

NHFarmMomma

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow, I think it would be cool to homestead in the city! Have you ever checked out gardengirltv.com ? She is great! Anyway... We ride Jack... he used to be a winning puller but when his match died, well broke his leg and was put down, Jack wouldn't pull anymore. If you put a harness on him he will NOT move... at all! But he will ride English... we have the biggest saddle and gurth for him... Riding him is kind of like riding on top of a VW Bug with no suspension... Not a real smooth ride but you sure won't fall off... Oh, and we have to get in the back of a pickup truck to get on him since he's so darn tall... no joke! I'm six feet tall too! Imagine being short and trying to get all the way up there...

Elvis the mini is a rescue who was beat pretty bad I'm guessing because he is so skiddish... doesn't like to be approached with anything in your hands... mostly just a pasture pet... He will lead all over creation once you get a lead rope on him but I can tell it scares him to death...

Special is still a baby, just about two... so we just work him with Halter and Lead for now but next summer we would like to start cart drivin lessons... He's a little feisty since he's still "with manhood" ;) But a nice little guy...

I sure love the mini's... they are adorable! Jack is a little scarry to be... so my honey deals with him mostly... No rding for me right now... preggers. ;)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad to have you here!

Please, share some stories of living off-grid. I dream of leaving corporate world (like many on this forum have already done!) and living in a little backwoods home, all to ourselves, without the hum of even the light traffic in my town *sigh*

So yeah, what's it like? :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!!! I will need to go hunt down your journal to fill in the gaps. I would love to also hear about your homestead.

gina