Beeswax lotion - bar or pastilles

septerr

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ok, I want to make this beeswax lotion that calls for beeswax pastilles. The store didn't have pastilles, so I bought beeswax bars instead. Is there a difference? Can I replace the pastilles with the bar without affecting the outcome? Thanks!!

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would think it's fine. Just use the same amount in weight. I use bars all the time. To help them melt faster I use a grater or for small amounts a potato peeler.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
I would think it's fine. Just use the same amount in weight. I use bars all the time. To help them melt faster I use a grater or for small amounts a potato peeler.
Ditto :)

septerr

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank You ladies!! It worked.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
So I have another question... how do I clean the grater once I used it to grate refined bees wax???
I made my first go at lotion bars, and grated beeswax for it, and it totally gummed up the grater and I don't know what to clean it with.

Septerr, can you post the recipe that you used? My first attempt turned out a little too tacky/soft, so I think I need to add more beeswax the harden them up a bit.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Goodluck with that. IDK. I guess, just heat up big time and scrub.
My godchild had been wanting to make some lotion and she found a recipe for greentea lotion. She wanted help from me in making it, but it was really DH that helped her, with some support from me. I can't remember how much wax she needed, but I just took one of my wax foundation sheets from our bee equipment and put it straight in a double boiler, with no grating at all. We eventually did use the blender, but that comes completely apart, so it wasn't so hard cleaning.
She loved the lotion and wants to make more. Its kinda complicated.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Now days I scrape off what I can and put it in the dishwasher. Sometimes it has to go twice. Before the dishwasher I used my canning pot a boiled waxy equipment. Let the water and "stuff" cool in the pot. The wax will float on the top and harden. Skim it off, then take out your items.

septerr

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
@hQuees13

The recipe: asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/how-to-make-an-easy-beeswax-lotion/

How to Make an Easy Beeswax Lotion
1 c. olive oil
1/2 c. coconut oil
1/2 c. beeswax (I prefer the pastilles for easy melting, if using solid beeswax use 2 oz.)
1/2 t. Vitamin E oil (or about 5 capsules cut open and squeezed out) (optional)
20 drops (approximately) essential oil (optional)

Combine olive oil, coconut oil and beeswax pastilles into a pint sized canning jar. Put this jar into a saucepan and fill the saucepan with water until it comes 3/4 of the way up the canning jar, being careful not to get water into the oil mixture. Put on the stove over medium/low heat. Heat and stir occasionally until melted. Let cool to room temperature either by leaving out or quicken the process by putting into the refrigerator. During the cooling process, put a fork into the jar and stir vigorously every 15 minutes or so. Once at room temperature, add in the Vitamin E and essential oil. Thats it. You have lotion!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Hmm, good idea Cindlady2! Thanks!

Septerr - thanks for the recipe I'm going to have to give that one a try too!