Beeswax

sheaviance1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have met a guy today that has beeswax available for free. I know of some uses for it, but not many. What do you use beeswax for?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
The most obvious of course is candles. I use them for making ointments, pysanky eggs (egg decorating), to seal corked bottles (for homemade wine etc), molded ornaments. That is all I can think of right now.

I am allergic to candles made from parafin, so I don't usually use them. I use beeswax candles and they are much more expensive.

I remembered another one, furniture polishing, you need to melt it a bit and sometimes I mix it with some oil to polish my furniture.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
It is the one ingredient in creams that I don't have yet! I would use it in creams. And candles.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would jump on it if it is free!! (maybe not very ethical, but you could sell it--a lb areound here is worth around $12, (I wouldnt sel it, but.....)) I use it for moisturizing lotions, lip balms, candles, and I have also taken peices of cloth, spread some beeswax on it (shredded) and covered ti then ironed it so the wax ws melted into the fabric. i use it to wrap my bread and such, b efoer I put it in my bread keeper. The beeswax has antimicrobial properties tha ward off mold growth etc. I also have peices to wrap the kids lunch sandwiches in, but haven't used them yet.

sheaviance1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I would jump on it if it is free!! (maybe not very ethical, but you could sell it--a lb areound here is worth around $12, (I wouldnt sel it, but.....)) I use it for moisturizing lotions, lip balms, candles, and I have also taken peices of cloth, spread some beeswax on it (shredded) and covered ti then ironed it so the wax ws melted into the fabric. i use it to wrap my bread and such, b efoer I put it in my bread keeper. The beeswax has antimicrobial properties tha ward off mold growth etc. I also have peices to wrap the kids lunch sandwiches in, but haven't used them yet.
This is one that I haven't heard of before. I made a bread bag recently out of some quilting fabric, recycled plastic (from a store-bought comforter) and muslin. If I had heard of doing this, I would have skipped the plastic. I foresee me making another one in the very near future.

I do plan on looking up some recipes for beeswax lip balm and lotion. I was tickled absolute pink to have him offer this to me today. I told him about this forum today too. I hope to see him on here. He was a very cool person to meet. We spoke for hours about a little bit of everything.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's also great to rub on the traditional drawers (no wheel tracks) where there was a rub. Also good for rubbing on a zipper that sticks.

(Thank you Martha Stewart)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I use mine in soap, lip balm, body balm and lotion. Enjoy it--it's a real treasure!

Latest posts