Beginning stages of Alzhiemer's?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my dad, and he said that mom is starting to lose it. He is getting frustrated. apparently, my mom will tell him something and then several hours later, say oh yeah, I forgot to tell you..... and tell him again. He'll say you already told me that etc. and They would have watched a show on HGTV, and then several weeks later it is on again, and she will want to watch it. He says we watched that one a few weeks ago. Of cours she ways no, and proceeds to watch it again.

She's 67. She has a sister older than her who is in a home for Alzheimers (it is really progressed). And another sister who is also older who is losing her mind also.

Is there anyone familiar with the early stages of alzheimers, what progresses there are in medicine, etc to help with this situation?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
She needs high doses of all the B vitamins and plenty raw coconut oil at every meal.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What BB said. Plus getting off refined sugars, flours, and starches. Here is the story about the doctor who started giving coconut oil to her hubby and how it helped.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/aging/article879333.ece

The unfortunate thing is every person I know who developed alzheimers also developed serious cravings for candy. That, of course, is the WORST thing for your brain.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
That's my mom. She's on alzheimer drugs already.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Do you have documented information from several reliable sources? The only reason I ask is b/c my mom thinks all this "natural crap" is hooey. There is no way I can convince her, but she might be inclined to read reports from reputable sources.

She is very supportive of our lifestyle choices here, as in our hobby farming to provide our own meat and eggs, but is dead set against raw milk, and any natural healing. She believes doctors know more since they go to school for a long time-and thinks the pharmaceutical industry si so strong becasue there is a true need for pharmaceuticals (don't even get me started, but this is one topic we choose not to discuss as it never ends well.)

I only see her about once a month, if that, so I haven't really noticed much, (as far as the memory loss is concerned) but we are having a family dinner tomorrow since my niece is heading back to university.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
What BB said. Plus getting off refined sugars, flours, and starches. Here is the story about the doctor who started giving coconut oil to her hubby and how it helped.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/aging/article879333.ece

The unfortunate thing is every person I know who developed Alzheimers also developed serious cravings for candy. That, of course, is the WORST thing for your brain.
If I gathered info right, the sugar craving is because of the saturated fat and cholesterol deficiencies in the brain.
Most older people I know, buy lock stock and barrel into the low fat and low cholesterol myth. All they end up doing is atrophying their brains :hit

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks wifey, I'll keep that one to pass on. They are eating NO FAT atall right now, until my dad's surgery on Sept 7. they don't typically eat alot of bread etc or sugars. (well my dad does but...)they do indulge in a pastry every now and again.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Any info you could get to me would be greatly appreciated, so I can go tomorrow with guns loaded so to speak. I will try and search for info myself, but I know you guyshave more insight into this type of thing than i do.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Do you have documented information from several reliable sources? The only reason I ask is b/c my mom thinks all this "natural crap" is hooey. There is no way I can convince her, but she might be inclined to read reports from reputable sources.

She is very supportive of our lifestyle choices here, as in our hobby farming to provide our own meat and eggs, but is dead set against raw milk, and any natural healing. She believes doctors know more since they go to school for a long time-and thinks the pharmaceutical industry si so strong becasue there is a true need for pharmaceuticals (don't even get me started, but this is one topic we choose not to discuss as it never ends well.)

I only see her about once a month, if that, so I haven't really noticed much, (as far as the memory loss is concerned) but we are having a family dinner tomorrow since my niece is heading back to university.
http://www.coconutketones.com/whatifcure.pdf An excellent case study.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/08/vitamin-b-could-delays-alzheimers I would look into the very best supps for these vitamins, and if she is willing to do it, eating LOTS of shellfish, particularity oysters on the half shell.
Do not push the raw milk issue. Its best to live out that proof in front of her.
Though finding a way to drop the new news that the CDC proves you are 35,000 more likely to get sick eating meat and raw veges then drinking raw milk, might be beneficial someday ;)

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My grandpa has Alzheimer's. It is not unusual for people to forget things as they get older, but forgetting recent events is kind of a red flag. Has your mother had any behavioral changes aside from the memory loss? The Alzheimers Association website might have some good info for you.