Being prepared or HOARDING?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This old news article maes me wonder.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=940CEEDD1238EE32A25753C3A9639C946996D6CF

What we see as being prepared others might see as a bad thing.
hoardingstory.png

Of course, I see anti-hoarding laws as punishing smart people for planning ahead.

Lets have cooowfffeee and tawwwwk

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wow! That is crazy.....prosecuted because the government thought he only should store 30 days worth of food :smack

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is borderline hoarding because of WW 1
In wartime it is a time of sacrifice for your military and nation. This type of "being prepared" would border on hoarding.

So to me it is the time (1918) when this happened I can understand the concern about hoarding.

My Dad in WW2 had the ration books etc. Supplies were limited. People did without and large storage would be considered hoarding if you could find it.

But being prepared when others are slow to do so is important also. They thought ahead and stored what they could which shows survival obviously.

War brings fear. Fear brings shortage of supplies. Shortage brings out the hoarders.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great! I'll have honey & lotsa milk in mine :D
Hmmm... Its very sad actually. I know a few hoarders. You can't walk in their homes, they have everything they've ever bought and then some. Being prepared, of course I see that quite differently, that is having what you need to survive as an independant entity and it does not include last year's dead batteries & light bulbs. One lady my mother used to do home health for (wound care) had developed quite the disorder. She literally had every piece of wrapping paper, toilet paper rolls, cloth remnants and while yes, all those are useful, there comes a point when the piles are nothing but booby traps. The agency told her they couldn't come see her any longer unless she allowed someone in to help clean & straighten. 3 huge dumpsters later, the lady was so happy that she could actually walk around in her home. She picked out 5 or 6 large remnants to keep, and went back to making quilts since she could reach her machine.

I guess you could be considered hoarding food if you just "kept" it, and didn't use it at all, but saved it for a rainy day. Of course, its all about how it looks too, I suppose. If its junky looking or cluttered with spider webs all over it, its a hoard. If its nice & shiney, clean or out of sight, then its just "being prepared".

Sometimes an intervention IS needed. And yet, I still do not place the government as the entity to give said intervention.

I have to wonder if that law is still on the books...

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
What FC said plus - there was also the well to do who hoarded large quantities of grains, flour, sugar etc in order to sell to those less fortunate at very high prices during those times of shortages. That was one of the reason the law was passed.

Much the same as selling water to storm victims today. There always has been and always will be the greedy apparently.

However, those laws are still on the books and anything over 30 days supply could be considered hoarding. (I think some states have different limits). But I don't think they are going after anyone who harvested and canned a years worth of food. Now if you have two silos full of purchased grain and you have no cows or other live stock. They might look at you and go ummmmm. Whatca planning on doing with that?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
One person's hoarding is preparedness to others. In our society if you plan ahead it's preparedness. If you didn't and someone else did, they are hoarders. I guess most of us here would be considered as hoarders by the general public that doesn't prepare.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, at my house, we're feeding a family of 7, so what might be a 30 day supply for one household is only a week's supply for mine. Still, they'd probably be accusing us of hoarding. :rolleyes:

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Well, at my house, we're feeding a family of 7, so what might be a 30 day supply for one household is only a week's supply for mine. Still, they'd probably be accusing us of hoarding. :rolleyes:
Don't you know that your supposed to be running to the grocery store everyday?!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
Don't you know that your supposed to be running to the grocery store everyday?!
Well, that's not very green now, is it???

If the government is serious about us wanting to go green, they'd encourage the growing and storing (hoarding) of our own foods.

The less trips we make to the store, the less gas we use.