being self sufficient/ sustainable in a student rental

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i don't even know where this should go, so i'm going to say here. because, that's how i roll. i've been away for a while. a long while, from sufficientself. mostly because i've been living in toronto and have been pretty detached from my parents place/the farm/all that sufficient living and other jazzy stuff. i've been caught up in my own problems and school and social relationships. in may i'll be moving out of my parents place, at 22 years old, i think it's due time. i'm transferring universities (to a green living friendly one too! cool or what? they're all into sustainability) and i'm moving into a student rental house. basically 7 students/tenants share the house, and i'll have my own enormous bedroom. i want to try and incorporate some self sufficiency to my life but i'm not sure how to living in a rental like this, and more so, a rental that i don't have much control over.

i might be able to convince my landlord to let me sneak some vegetable plants ito the front garden, especially since the tenant's are responsible for mowing and watering the plants (it's a tiny front yard) and i will probably be one of the only people living in the house over the summer.

got any ideas? XD i'm really excited to move out but i'm not sure what there is i can do on my own. i was thinking since i'll be living near costco that i'd be able to cook for myself more and store more of my food.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I didn't look at the thread, but there's one on here about container gardens. That might be a way to go. Maybe get a Polish Crested hen, and have people think it's a funky looking, egg laying parrot and keep it in a cage in your bedroom? I've heard you can even litter box train them. Get a pygmy goat, or a Nigerian dwarf, and tell people it's a dog you have to milk? That would give you your veggies, eggs and milk.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Container plants. I wouldn't mess with indoors-under-lights plants though, owing to a) it's not generally that space- or cost-effective and b) student rental housing often has somewhat suspect electrical systems and there is a limit to how much excitement a person needs in their life during university.

For other foods, see if you can get people to go in with you to buy bulk of whatever harder-to-get foodstuffs you want... bulk good-quality grains, cases of produce, half beef, whatever.

Big, big, big aspect of self-sufficiency in student-type conditions: scavenge and repair/repurpose stuff. To me, the ability to furnish a room in a good-looking functional way without spending more than $25 is a very important SS skill :p, as are the ability to find things on the curbside and see what useful you can do with them, repair/retailor thrift store clothing or dumpster clothing, source things you need by asking around ("you know anyone who doesn't want their blender anymore?"), etc

Good luck, have fun, where ya moving to?,

Pat

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Actually, the grow light thing may work if you use the LED type. They may not work as well as the old style, high wattage types, but the energy usage is low. Check around YouTube, there are quite a few videos about them.

Also adding an aquarium, you can try out a small scale aquaponics system. Again, there a several YouTube videos on the subject. It may be a fun learning experience (and after all, isn't that what college is all about? :lol: ).

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. I don't have any further suggestions but just wanted to say hi. :frow

Congratulations on your move and good luck and keep in touch! :hugs

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awh haha Pat, lucky for me the house I'm moving into is a former Trent University Residence house and has all updated wiring and stuffs. I already have most of the furniture I'll need, my bed from home, and I'm refinishing a dresser that just showed up in my bedroom at home one day, plus I'm taking my parents old sofa and armchair (yes, i have enough room in my bedroom for this! not even kidding, wait til you guys see it, it's huge).

We have a full backyard, so I think container gardening might be an option :)

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
raise a pair of mini breed rabbits in an indoor cage for fertilizer and meat... or get some angoras and learn to spin fiber!

Or raise coturnix quail in an indoor cage for eggs and meat...

Grow mini trees in containers for fruit such as mini pomegranates... or if you have more space grow an orange tree or banana tree... the citrus trees can get by with less light so wouldn't need to be close to a window if you room gets decent amount of light... If you start some dwarf trees now in containers... once you move out and get your own land you have trees that are of fruiting age ready to plant! instead of waiting 4 years then planting trees and having to wait another 3-5 years for fruit...

Have a window box salad garden! Grow tilapia fish in tanks for fresh fish!

If you have access to a kitchen then learn to make new dishes from scratch so you won't have to eat collage food... :sick