best all purpose grapes

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Starting to plan ahead for next spring and making my garden plans and what we are going to add new this year.

Wanting to add grapes this year, so that in a couple years we can have our own and not have to rely on my uncle :)

Anyone have a type that works best for everything-eating, juice, jelly, etc? Looking for a cold hardy type too.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think it comes down to personal preference. My great uncle has a small vineyard with many different varieties. So I've made juice, raisins, and jelly from table to wine grapes over the years. Concords are my favorite but are a juice grape. I like them for eating best too even though they are seeded. The sweet and tart difference between skin and inside is nice. Muscat comes in second.

With using wine grapes, I have learned to at least let the juice set in the fridge for several day before making jelly to let tartartic acid crystals seperate out. Crunchy jelly is unpleasant. Usually I can the juice and let it set for a month or so. It helps with time management to make the jelly later when I'm not working on so much as well.

Getting a grape that will produce here is tough. The concords won't as we don't have enough heat hours. Have to have an early producing grape and might get fruit by fall. The silkies do like the concord vines for shade and eating.