Best breed of cattle for new, small herd?

Nonesuch Farm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We raise Dexters for milk, meat and seedstock breeding animals. I really recommend giving them a good look. My beef animals sell for $3.75/lb hot hanging weight, directly marketed to consumers. My breeding quality heifers can sell for up to $2K at weaning, which is what you might hope to get for two really nice commercial steers in good flesh at the sale barn, with a much higher feed investment. A cow in milk, trained to milk, with heifer calf at foot and bred back recently sold for a sum I would not disclose on a public forum. I also have a miniature Jersey that I breed to my Dexter bull. Her heifer calves are reserved for the next three at a really good price. They have been around long enough to be sure that they are not just a fad but have an enduring place in the market as a homestead animal.

They are calm, easy to handle, do not require as much equipment, are easier on pastures and have lots of other advantages.

You can visit us at www.nonesuchfarm.net. Or have a look at dextercattle.org for more information.