Best ever cranberry sauce

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
12 oz. fresh cranberries, 3/4 C. brown sugar, 1/4 C. freshly squeezed orange juice, 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground ginger, 1 tsp. orange zest, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, 1/8 tsp ground allspice.

Mix all, boil till you decide it's done. Feel free to adjust the spices. This can be HWB processed.

Last edited:

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
12 oz. fresh cranberries, 3/4 C. brown sugar, 1/4 C. freshly squeezed orange juice, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground ginger, 1 tsp. orange zest, 1/8 tsp salt, w/8 tsp ground cloves, 1/8 tsp ground allspice.

Mix all, boil till you decide it's done. Feel free to adjust the spices. This can be HWB processed.
Yum!!! will be trying your recipe. Have you tried HWB?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No. I made this recipe for yesterday's dinner. Cranberries are still on sale. So, I intend to pick up more packages tomorrow, along with some fresh spices. I'll post a follow up when I HWB this next batch. Of all the cooking I did for yesterday's meal, the cranberry sauce got the greatest number of compliments.

I am finding that I absolutely love this as a jam substitute on my English muffin in the morning!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yum!!! will be trying your recipe. Have you tried HWB?

Minus
12 oz. fresh cranberries, 3/4 C. brown sugar, 1/4 C. freshly squeezed orange juice, 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. ground ginger, 1 tsp. orange zest, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, 1/8 tsp ground allspice.

Is this really good?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the recipe, @Lazy Gardener . I've got fresh cranberries in the fridge, but didn't get around to using them yet. (I usually use mine in a cran-apple crisp.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter : It's really, really, really good. I'd not have posted it if I was not more impressed with it than I was with my usual recipe. The usual is my own hybrid: I sub apple juice for the water, and add a pinch of ground cloves in the recipe you would find on the back of the bag of cranberries. So... yeah, it's really, really really good.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It sounds very good as something to use in place of "jelly". I use very, very little jelly because of too much sweet taste, preferring to taste the fruit more than the sugars. So I do make a few jars of "something" -- usually a preserve type so I maintain the chunks of fruit. This sounds like something I would pair with some of my unseasoned goat cheese. Yum.

It comes out much like a soft cream cheese, texture wise, with a lovely creamy taste. Since there are a couple gallons of milk to use up, may have to do both and try the combo. Rather than pull freezer stash.

Copied and saved the recipe -- with a note of who posted. Just often can't remember "who/which" person & thread things or questions come from. So, I often do this -- with thread heading -- so I can get back eventually. Too much to remember! :old

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I find typical jams and jellies to be cloyingly sweet. But, my home made jellies and jams, made with Pomona's pectin can be made with only enough sweetener to satisfy the taste buds. I use just enough sugar in my jelly/jam to cut the pucker power down to a reasonable amount. I love the fact that these jellies and jams let the fruit shine, without the sugar taking over.