Best foodstuff to stockpile?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@chicken girl since you live alone, doing all that digging could BA a hardship. What about a false wall in your closet? Look around your house. Maybe a little Retro fitting could make some hiding spots.

chicken girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Baymule I'm used to doing alot of outside stuff alone. :) Thats a good idea, maybe in my upper kitchen cabinet that I can't reach up there without a chair. Hmmmmm...off to go plan. Lol

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I read about putting some shelves inside the interior walls- the empty space created by using 2x4 studs makes a place just big enough for cans. It's another possibility, but would actually require more work in my case because every available wall has bookshelves or other large pieces of furniture.

@chicken girl I think I may have miscommunicated; I was thinking of a plastic cooler- I just used a different term than you did.

chicken girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This morning I passed a chest freezer on side of road and was thinking if I had a tractor with a digging attachment I could bury it. Lol! Then I saw her post. :)

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you little dirt diggers need to remember that what ever you bury needs to be water tight and a chest freezer and a cooler neither one are. i have used chest freezers to grow winter greens in and they work really well. i took off the door and replaced it with an old glass shower door. worked great

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Having one or two root celler/storm cellars hidden on property is good as well (if your property has available space. Crawl space and attics as well work, though it's have to be dry goods (as many attics get warm I think)