Best goat disbudding tool

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
* thinks to self.. "i dunno i think i can do it" *

gotcha...so its pretty much work yourself up and march out there, right?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
You've got The Big Man for reinforcements, OFG....the rest of us need a box to put our goats in...sheesh :p

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ohmigosh! i forgot about the 4H kids! ok i can totally do this!

* goes and looks for $20 to pay them to do the dirty work *

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OFG, If I chicken out can I rent your 4-H kids? :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ha! yep! i'll be happy to hire them out to anyone with cash

ha!
;-)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'm not intimidated about going out and doing it, but I realize I need to purchase several items and this isn't falling at a good time.

I'm thinking that at minimum I'm going to need to buy the disbudder tool, iodine, clippers and vaccine and castration tool for this year's wethers. That makes them rather expensive little guys for me....and since they will be "mutts" I will probably not be able to sell them for much.

It looks like those other things are cheap but the disbudders are a lot new and I haven't found one used. I don't want a cheapy one.

If I just get wethers (murphy's law being what it is), would I be an awful person if I didn't disbud my males? They will be 3/4 nigy, 1/4 nubian. I almost want to wait to buy the tool right now until I see if I get any females.

I wish I could rent a dang disbudder!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you band the males, you can keep your expenses down. I just bought the cheap blue bander at TSC and the rings were very inexpensive.

I agree with you that you don't want to go cheap on the disbudder. The other thing you can try is the paste. If you do a search on BYH there was someone who gave full instructions on using paste. I know most people are against it but according to a few people, they felt it worked great.